Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Making reservations- how long am I? with or without toad?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bpaikman

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3436
RV Length
35 feet
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We made a reservation at an RV park in Fredericksburg ...and they put us in a space so tight (I did tell him I was towing!) that we could only get our tow vehicle in our space by parking it sideways. We noticed that other people arriving in fifth wheels had the same problem and they could not get their trucks off the road.
The park was by no means full. Sometimes they expect you to park your toad 1/4 mile away in 'overflow'.
I have learned to be very specific on what I expect... if I want a pull through without unhitching, I say so. I'm reasonable, and work with them if needed.
If I'm staying for a while I don't mind if it's not a pull through. If it's just an overnight stay, I take a good look on Google Earth, and look for parks with pull-thru.
I'm wondering, when I'm filling out my form online should I put 35 ft or 53 ft (mh+toad)?
(I do a lot of reserveamerica.com and they list the lengths of their sites - very helpful!)

I add 3 ft to the coach to cover the spare tire carrier plus tow bar. That usually takes me to the next size site.

I rarely make a reservation online, but call instead. Prior to calling I have already checked the satelite views to get an idea if the sites and/or roads are even doable for my 44' fiver. I have been disappointed a couple times but generally I know what to expect.

Latest resources

Back