Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Greg 502

RVF Newbee
Hello to all ,My Name is Greg and I don't own an RV but I own multiple trailers. I just want to put some info out there that my help everyone.

I recently ordered Maxxis tires for my trailers and when I received them I noticed that the date codes were over 4 years old. (3018) = 30th month of 2018. I ordered from Amazon,Walmart ,Autoplicity,Simple Tire and Priority Tire. All the date codes were the same. 3018
What I have found out and was confirmed by a tire rep is this.
Maxxis is giving huge discounts to the wholesalers and the wholesalers are selling them to unsuspecting buyers. I have nothing against this as long as people know what there buying. As far as I know ST tires should be replaced out every 5-6 years + - So basically you are buying a tire thats almost at its life span Maxxis has discontinued the M8008 tire and replaced it with the M8008 PLUS. I have Maxxis tires on some of my trailers and like them but now Im leaning toward the Goodyear Endurance tire made in th USA

Not sure if this post should be in this thread so if its wrong I apologize and can someone move it to the right spot. Thank You.

Greg

I saw this topic today since I now have a new Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
Although the tire date code is old, you may like to consider that the tires have not been exposed to sunlight until installed. Sunlight is the killer of the tires. Drive your rig, whatever it may be. When you are not rolling down the highway, cover your tires.
Before you travel again first check your tire pressure. Either manually with an accurate gauge or two to compare the gauges. If you can afford a good tire pressure monitor system buy and install the setup. Check the pressures against your gauges. Low pressure and sunlight are your enemies. Keep sunlight and low pressure in check before you have a blow out. You may be able to get twice the life from the rubber that carries you down the highway.

I wouldn't trust old tires, sunlight isn't the only issue. Oxidation causes rubber to become brittle over time. You'll hear various numbers thrown around. A good read on the subject (although related to nitrogen fill, touches on tire aging): Should You Use Nitrogen in Your Car Tires? - Consumer Reports

I'd be a bit miffed about 2018 tires myself, mostly because I know that the tires will age out before I wear them out and those tires would likely start cracking years earlier than a new tire. However if it was a really good deal, maybe a wash?

I just had new Michelins installed, dated late 2021. Not ideal, but acceptable I think.

I don't put enough miles on to not want the years. I would reject them!

I don't put enough miles on to not want the years. I would reject them!
Hey Kevin, as a full timer you must stay in one place most of the time.
Yes tires degrade with age naturally. A freind of mine who has long since passed always told me to keep your tires and rubber boots in the attic of the garage. His garage was not attached to the house and had no electric motors giving off electrons. Marvin claimed the electric motors degraded the rubber if you stored rubber boots, rubber rain coates or tires near the furnace blower.
Not sure if this is valid or not. Bottom line would be to inspect tires no matter what the date says.

Well I spend half the year in one place. Rest of the time I try to stay in one state.

Your friend was old school! Tires are made from oil, when in one position the oil migrates to the bottom of the Tire. OK I got that from hallmark owners manual.
In recent years the "science " calls the checking "Ozone checking". Nitrogen filled and Nitrogen bagging will help, but the carcass, in the case of Michelin is expired at 7 years. Oh in the day many small motors were DC and brushes spark, and that in turn produces Ozone. I would say a garage would be the worst place to store rubber.

Latest resources

Back