RV Make
Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
I started this as a continuation where we hijacked a thread about pulling the trigger.

So the last post there read as follows:

Why not a "standard RV"? Bahía de los Ángeles looks interesting. We have only been as far south as San Felipe on the Baja. When were you last there? How is the road further south? I read that there is power now and a small hotel with an airstrip. Can one just park on the beach? I read that it is a snorkeler's paradise.

Maybe we should not have hijacked this thread. Should it be moved to one called Mexican Destinations maybe?

Darrell

The road in in 2004, was dirt with steep grades. Although things may have changed after that date, I highly doubt it. After all it is a fishing village! Like most fishing villages, access is better via the waterways. My RV at the time was a Catalina 30! I was checking out a hurricane hole just in the bay!

If it still runs, should I want to travel the Baja I would take the ferry to La Paz and back track from there.

The ideal portable home in my view would be a truck camper in a 4x4.

The better alternative is renting a villa at key locations and branch off in a Jeep tent camping to the more interesting areas.

I would spend a complete winter just on the Baja! With a ferry ride to PV! I would see the sights like a cruiser would (on foot, or public transport)! Any other way is like going to an amusement park!

The roads south have a tendency to wash out during monsoon season, so who can say what they will be like when you go!

Remember that Mexico does not consider the Baja as a part of the mainland, unless we are talking taxes.

I started this as a continuation where we hijacked a thread about pulling the trigger.

So the last post there read as follows:

Why not a "standard RV"? Bahía de los Ángeles looks interesting. We have only been as far south as San Felipe on the Baja. When were you last there? How is the road further south? I read that there is power now and a small hotel with an airstrip. Can one just park on the beach? I read that it is a snorkeler's paradise.

Maybe we should not have hijacked this thread. Should it be moved to one called Mexican Destinations maybe?

Darrell

The road in in 2004, was dirt with steep grades. Although things may have changed after that date, I highly doubt it. After all it is a fishing village! Like most fishing villages, access is better via the waterways. My RV at the time was a Catalina 30! I was checking out a hurricane hole just in the bay!

If it still runs, should I want to travel the Baja I would take the ferry to La Paz and back track from there.

The ideal portable home in my view would be a truck camper in a 4x4.

The better alternative is renting a villa at key locations and branch off in a Jeep tent camping to the more interesting areas.

I would spend a complete winter just on the Baja! With a ferry ride to PV! I would see the sights like a cruiser would (on foot, or public transport)! Any other way is like going to an amusement park!

The roads south have a tendency to wash out during monsoon season, so who can say what they will be like when you go!

Remember that Mexico does not consider the Baja as a part of the mainland, unless we are talking taxes.
I have done a little home work. It appears conditions have changed considerably since 2004. Highway 5 from Mexicali to highway 1 has been paved and, at present is in good condition.. Highway 1 to highway 12 is reported to be in good condition as is the last 40 miles on higway 12. From my reconning, good condition means paved but no shoulders, minimal pot holes, some rough areas but passable using a large RV.

There are at least two PV Parks in Bahía de los Ángeles. Both just primitive along the beach. It appears the best is operated by Villa Vitta at $10.00 per night. Groceries are available. Restaurant near by, and a dump station is available. Activities are minimal. Sport Fishing, Off Roading, Snorkeling/swimming, and just relaxing by the beach. I will look to see what is available for water. I am okay filling my tank with reverse osmosis but don't use it for cooking etc. Once back in "civilization", we always disinfect the fresh tank and fill with "known" good water. If I can't discover the water situation we will probably shorten our stay there but for now, It's on the bucket list. I scooped a photo from Villa Vitta's website. Looks a lot like many places in Mexico. Villa Vita Resort.jpg

Thanks for the HU Kevin.

Darrell

Latest resources

Back