Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
i've lived in this area often on for 40+ years and I have seen a lot of changes - Mexican restaurants have taken over (good that I love Mexican food ) - the food is cheap and easy to make - we have maybe 372 Mexican reataurants per square mile. El Chico 😖 used to be the biggie here -now we have several large local restaurants that are more popular (and far better!)
It's easy to find good TexMex here, and we're spoiled.
Our criteria: homemade flour tortillas - HUGE difference. Even hole-in-the-walls here do homemade flour tortillas. Oddly, I know of only one popular returant that has homemade corn tortillas. Those are easier to make, but only if you have your technique perfected - i can't do it. I don't know if there's a mom-pop place with homemade corn - I'd go there if they did.
Big restaurants have 'tortilla machines' that churn out homemade (yep) tortillas.
I can't stomach those rubbery, preservative-tasting store-bought tortillas anymore. Even some grocery stores make homemade tortillas, guacamole, and pico de gallo (HEB is the best.)
it's even possible to get reasonably healthy Mexican food if you stick to the fajitas and grilled dishes, charro beans, salsa, pico.
(BTW, we're an hour's drive from Houston, where they have Hugo's - which is supposedly true Mexican food from the 'interior'. I'm not arguing the claim - their food is different, less cheeze, beans, tortillas. Healthier, it seems, and oitstanding. It's our fav Houston restaurant)

the DW and I always make flour tortillas, she has a couple tricks, always use real Lard, weight them out in rolled balls, let them rest for 20 minutes before rolling them out. she does the roll out, I man the skillet and we do about 20 at a time, fresh tortillas are so good

small independent Mexican grocery stores are also a good source and I always find something new, interesting, and tasty when I go into my local store. I just steer clear of chorizo - someone spoiled it for me by telling me the ingredients…

the DW and I always make flour tortillas, she has a couple tricks, always use real Lard, weight them out in rolled balls, let them rest for 20 minutes before rolling them out. she does the roll out, I man the skillet and we do about 20 at a time, fresh tortillas are so good
yes, the tortilla machines we see in many restaurants start with balls on a spiraling conveyor

small independent Mexican grocery stores are also a good source and I always find something new, interesting, and tasty when I go into my local store. I just steer clear of chorizo - someone spoiled it for me by telling me the ingredients…
any ground meat could be ...anything.... know your supplier 😄

Latest resources

Back