Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Stardate: Tuesday, June 22, 2021

The RV is back in storage, the "apartment" on wheels has been moved back into the house, what a massive chore moving into and out of an RV. It is amazing how much space your RV really does have, once you unload it and see. This time around I was especially loaded up for business contents and another missions that was part of my RV travels some of you know about.

I left in late December to attend a flight training week in southern Texas, after which I ventured back to Arizona to revisit a place near and dear to my heart, Tucson which is where I went to A-10 training and later returned to teach pilots to fly the A-10 "warthog". Tucson will always be one of my top destinations, it's just a special place for me. The trip had its typical eventful start as the rolling earthquake wakes things up from a MCD shade bracket that fractured, my ongoing OASIS battle which needed a new relay, and a few other minor things to keep you entertained. The trip did its usual job of entertaining the gang from my bike saga nearly falling off the back and taking out a Loves truck. I would have loved to see that fuel bill! Then a tour of Idaho as I made my way to Yakima, WA for a Feb 8-12 commitment. As I have not completely repressed the events thereafter you may remember "auto socks" in use as I departed Yakima in snow, arrived in Boise with heavy snow and coming down fast, don't forget that Deadman's pass joy, frozen wiper blades, and the thrill of RVing where no RVer should ever go, where I go!

Back down to Arizona for a month holding pattern at Casa Grande for some Pickleball action and good friends then back north to explore Bryce canyon, more of spectacular Utah, a left turn across the great Salt Lake, then up into Oregon to spend a month during the wrong time of year, a strength I have that others envy I'm sure. Up to Yakima again, the long way around after seeing Hood River which I loved. East to Coeur D'Alene which wasn't all that I expected it to be, over to Montana where I will have to return again someday to explore much longer followed by my desire to explore Colorado more in depth than previous visits. The drive east along I-90 was spectacular but hot and high allergy where both myself and Elli had some struggles with whatever was blowing across the gorgeous open farmlands. Only later did I realize that was not where Little House on the Prairie was filmed as I was sure I was in that part of the world!

The last leg home almost did me in when I was looking for a T/A truck stop in Lexington, VA I must have missed. I used Garmin's Up Ahead feature to find truck stops which I picked a Petro thinking that may be it. As I approached the exit I realized that was not what I wanted, I then changed my mind and decided to go there anyways which is a BAD idea in an 18 ton rig. This is the 2nd time in 4 years I did a "high speed" exit where you normally decelerate first and it really gets your attention only this time I came up on traffic backed half way up the exit which I didn't see until late so I got to experience max braking and see that the brakes in my coach really are pretty darned good as I almost ate a flatbed truck ahead of me, literally! I veered left just in case I wouldn't be stopped in time. As the truck station was backed up out to the road I decided to pass, I had enough gas to get home, or so I thought. Technically I did assuming all fuel is usable, I would have probably had 7 gallons left in the tank out of 100 capacity. So as the annoying low fuel ding ding thing kept going off I realized I needed to find gas STAT! So I saw an Exxon sign with diesel and pulled off in the country and hoped for clearance. Sure enough the overhang was 13'4" so that should be fine and this time I remembered my handy feature of Active Air to be able to lower my ride height. The fuel pump was actually prior to the overhang area so it wasn't an issue but I had to get from the fuel pump back to the road. Option A was to go through the left of two lanes, B the right, C to unhook, backup, and avoid the overhang setup altogether. Option C was the right choice but not the one I took, gethomeitis was in full force, it was already an hour later than expected. So I proceeded to get through the fuel pump lane not thinking of the actual width. So I was up on the curb near the glass doors trying not to reposition my OASIS exhaust pipe, I got through fortunately but barely but was waiting for a call of something I took out at the station which I had almost happen in downtown Farmville, VA a year prior when the po-po hunted me down as someone reported I "tipped" street lamp. No calls came, I got home safely.

Took a few days to unload, stow, wash, all in mid 90's heat. I want to thank Freightliner Custom Chassis for giving me the reliability to literally circle the US with zero issues, over 11,000 miles traveled. I want to thank Michelin tires for also no surprises now at 47,000 miles on the coach. And of course Newmar other than for not using bullet proof glass on the windshield as now I need another windshield.

I could do it again, the drive is just as enjoyable as the destinations. So much to see, the Newmar coaches are such as dream to drive with comfort steer. I really love RVing and when I got home I wanted to get back in the RV and run away, it is the lifestyle I truly enjoy. But I am settled in the house again, the dog had her first day back to daycare, aka drain her nuclear batteries down day! I continue to learn how to do the RVing thing better with each trip and look forward to doing things better the next big trip I take by doing more Harvest Hosts and boondocking and spending more time in the country.

I learned how much I love and prefer east coast RVing. For those that may not have ventured out east much I highly recommend you do. It seems a lot of RVing is centered around national parks, western attractions, in my opinion some of the best places are out east from the Shenandoah and Appalachian trail, the New River valley, and amazing beaches that don't have stupid cliffs on the beach and tons of rocks and ice cold water! :) The Halibut was amazing through, before I forget.

Anyways, mission complete, anchor is out and I'll be staying put until the next 2 month'er in September as I go to Gaffney for FL service and then to Newmar for the upholstery, windshield, and a few other minor items. I'll hit Luray KOA on the way home and likely anchor down for the winter and spend it with family this year. I look forward to those out working the open roads to keep the pictures coming and share the RV lifestyle we are so lucky to experience.

Edit: The office desk has been removed, the jack knife sofa is back in the coach. I paused, do I really want to do this? It's done. It was not easy doing on my own, again, but I did it. Things seem to get heavier as I suffer from the untreatable A.G.E. syndrome.

Special thanks to my trip concierge Judy from @J&JD who helped me find the great spots in Oregon and keep me in tune on things to do and places to eat.

How did Ella like daycare. My dog loves it.

How did Ella like daycare. My dog loves it.
Elli loves it. She was going 2-3 times a week before the trip, she immediately went back. She also swims twice a week. Dog has it made! Every morning I have to deal with her begging me to take her as I get dressed. Happy girl :)

Special thanks to my trip concierge Judy from @J&JD who helped me find the great spots in Oregon and keep me in tune on things to do and places to eat.
My pleasure, happy to have been a help.

Do you ever break down what these long trips cost you ? Per week, per day.

Do you ever break down what these long trips cost you ? Per week, per day.
Never. Ignorance is bliss! :)

But I can tell you I do think about the estimated monthly cost to RV. For example if you want to fulltime and sell your house how does a month of RVing compare to a month of mortgage and utilities? Moral is it's on par with an apartment I suppose. I can be on par with the same amount of rent paid that obviously is not going towards equity. Obviously the experience is priceless. There are several fulltimers that have done blogs or vlogs (youtube) on their expenses. Obviously staying longer such as one month or more stays bring costs down.

My guess is a month of RVing as a non-fulltimer in a diesel motorhome is in the realm of 2K/month on average ($50-70/night for campgrounds).

Wow that was a long trip(s). We’re quite pleased with our 2014 gently-used Ventana. Experimented with that comfort drive during our long trip - I haven’t made up my mind about it. It seems pretty good. But we’re fairly short - 35 feet.
( I do most of the driving - I need to let Bob drive more so he can get experience ?.)
The model that we have doesn‘t have a window in the bathroom and I am debating taking it to Newmar and asking them to make a window in the bathroom for me. They did put a window in that bathroom in later models (2016 - ).

Latest resources

Back