Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We were having an issue with our propane on our last trip - couldn't get the refrigerator to work on propane, so we just kept it turned off. We had to run the refrigerator on the generator while traveling and shore power when not traveling. And we couldn't use the gas stove, so we bought a small hot plate (I also have an Instantpot). We happen to mention this to the campground owner where we stayed in Lake City and he told us about a local guy who was NRVIA certified and trained.
for a reasonable price he came over and checked out the system and found that when our new propane/CO Detectors installed there was an electric connection that was improperly fitted. And he fixed, and we were (literall) cooking with gas.
He was quite chatty and told us about his experiences at the NRVIA school in Athens Texas. He had spent around $10,000 total to get completely through the program, and the training sounded very thorough. He described being presented a pile of random useful, or useless, parts and having to construct a working refrigerator, in a timed exam. He knows RVs inside and out.
We have used "self-taught" And NRVIA-trained repair and inspection people, And I would have much more confidence in the trained. For many things the self-taught people do just fine, especially when they're younger and stronger than us 🤣

I am leaving from that school tomorrow. I have been here 7 weeks. Spent a bit more then he did. The refrigerator class was the best of them all but I have issues with the classes. That is from the standpoint of being already at a higher level then most students here. The instructors cannot teach at a high level and leave the majority in the dust. Students are not selected on their aptitude, rather who has the $$$ to come here. Sorry if that sounded arrogant, but the proof is in the grades and finish times. Overall, I learned a lot, the instructors are very knowledgeable. But I think for me there is to much left on the table to learn for the money. My brother and I will be returning to the Chattanooga, TN area to start up a business. We met some great people here and would encourage anyone that feels they know nothing to take the fundaments course. And the school is the NRVTA, for training academy. There is a separate course for Inspectors after Fundamentals.

Ah, good to know - thanks for the info.

Are you going into the RV repair business? If so let us know. I live in the Chattanooga area and would like a reliable honest person I could depend on.

Yes we are. Have been met well by dealers and campgrounds so far. PM me your place of business and I will stop by.

I live in Ringgold, GA. but my office is in Atlanta. I cover a sales territory all over the Southeast. Post your business info and I'll call if I need some help! Thanks.

I live in Ringgold, GA. but my office is in Atlanta. I cover a sales territory all over the Southeast. Post your business info and I'll call if I need some help! Thanks.
Not sure I can do that in the main forum. But you can find us on the web at rovinghandyman.com
Sorry if that is not allowed Neal

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back