Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We spent 3 days in Montrose, staying at the KOA. Sites where decent, with plenty of room to maneuver.

We spent the days jeeping trails around Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, and surrounding areas. Beautiful scenery, fun driving.

The last day we started up the black bear pass, but my friends jeep started to have alternator issues. We didn't want to chance it failing on the switchbacks, so we turned around. Next year that will be the first trail.
20210811_164510.jpg
20210811_133321.jpg
20210811_124118.jpg
20210811_123306.jpg
20210811_114234.jpg
20210811_123240.jpg
20210811_110905.jpg
20210810_154953.jpg
20210810_124501.jpg
20210810_105042.jpg

Sounds like a great trip. I have always thought I'd like to traverse Black Bear pass but I think that time has passed for me. :)

Look's like my next purchase will have to be a Jeep. Thanks for sharing the pictures and sharing about the Montrose KOA.

Look's like my next purchase will have to be a Jeep. Thanks for sharing the pictures and sharing about the Montrose KOA.
I put off jeep ownership for 10 years. I was the one making fun of those with jeeps, and shaking my head as to why.

I can now admit I was wrong...so very wrong.

My wife and I owned a few Jeeps before. Ok, one real Jeep, and one Grand Cherokee, but still... They worked great for winter driving in the midwest, but we didn't have the time to really enjoy it for "Jeeping". We have previously pulled a small trailer with our motorcycle enclosed and really enjoyed viewing the countryside on the bike after setting up camp somewhere. But now we have a very spoiled dog that goes everywhere, and a 70 lb Labradoodle doesn't fit on the bike well with the two of us. So, a Jeep may be just what is needed as a good balance. Our plan is to spend most of next summer going through the Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Utah.

Any experienced thoughts on using a trailer versus toad? I currently have an enclosed car hauler that will fit a Jeep without issue (extra tall trailer). I get the ease of toad, but the trailer gives me the ability to carry a wider range of tools on the road, and keeps everything nice and clean from exhaust while going from place to place (and store the doors).

My wife and I owned a few Jeeps before. Ok, one real Jeep, and one Grand Cherokee, but still... They worked great for winter driving in the midwest, but we didn't have the time to really enjoy it for "Jeeping". We have previously pulled a small trailer with our motorcycle enclosed and really enjoyed viewing the countryside on the bike after setting up camp somewhere. But now we have a very spoiled dog that goes everywhere, and a 70 lb Labradoodle doesn't fit on the bike well with the two of us. So, a Jeep may be just what is needed as a good balance. Our plan is to spend most of next summer going through the Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Utah.

Any experienced thoughts on using a trailer versus toad? I currently have an enclosed car hauler that will fit a Jeep without issue (extra tall trailer). I get the ease of toad, but the trailer gives me the ability to carry a wider range of tools on the road, and keeps everything nice and clean from exhaust while going from place to place (and store the doors).
Give me details about your trailer---I am looking for one.

@redbaron, Sorry for the delayed response. My trailer is over in a storage yard and it took me a few days to go get the details on it. It's manufactured by Black Diamond Trailers in GA. Loading door has 7'4" of height clearance on my 20' box (with vnose, so there is storage room in front of that 20'). Overall trailer length is 24'6" tongue to tail. That does mean that behind a 43-45' coach the combined length is over length in those states that have a 65' limit. The question is - how many of them really care to enforce outside of California...
1629850674681.png

1629850744990.png

1629850812090.png

Should add, 16" spacing on sidewall supports, 24" on ceiling, sidewalls fully lined with ply. I added E-Clip tracks to both sides at 2 heights to give me versatility in carrying other loads. The 4 floor anchors are solid, although I find the front ones a little far forward and I have to watch how I put extras in the vnose so I don't obstruct access to them. I plan on adding another pair about 18" further back, just haven't gotten around to that yet. I found I need to load my 4Runner in backwards to keep the tongue weight right (400lbs different from being pulled in versus backed in) with the way I have other tools stored in the nose. I was lucky enough to hit a local Pilot on a day when the scales weren't too busy and they let me roll over 4x while I worked out load placement.

That's a beauty!

Correction if you didn't catch the label - Diamond Cargo, not Black Diamond...

Latest resources

Back