Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Last edited:
More def issues. Did not realize that Urea comes from Coal.

South Korea Panics as China Tightens Automotive Urea Supply

Download our app to read more at Download The Epoch Times Apps
DEF is a bunch of BS. The energy (co2 emissions) that it takes to produce all the emissions (parts/pieces) reductions on Diesel engines spews out more than what it reduces. Plus they reduce mpg & performance, so you are polluting as much or more than before our brilliant politicians passed regs to protect us!

I guess someone needs to come up with a filtering/distilling and test kit so we can all save our um, Urea

What is DEF fluid made of?​

Here’s how it works: DEF is made by combining urea and deionized water. Urea is an organic compound made up of nitrogen, hydrogen, carbon and oxygen. When DEF is mixed with hot exhaust gases, it breaks down into ammonia and carbon dioxide.

It's pretty cool how the chemical reaction works. With the cleaner burning emissions, the manufacturers can actually run the engines a little richer for more power. All good for the environment and all. My issue is I don't do shortages well. You would think that curtailing any short supply's of this stuff would be on the high priority list. But then again...
Deionizing water isn't too hard but finding or manufacturing the urea is a little tougher. They use a lot of heat in the manufacturing process. Is this where the coal comes in I wonder? And what's the emissions output in that process? I digress. The mixture is 67.5% water and 32.5% urea. (2:1) I wonder is that by weight? Can't imagine it's by volume.

Urea is a nitrogen fertilizer is commonly used in US agriculture.

Latest resources

Back