Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Motorhome crosses median from front tire blowout (graphic video)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Sharing this RV news article, the video of the incident is graphic so don't watch if you are affected by this as the article states.

We can try and learn from this as it's a tragic situation. Do your best as we all do and try to minimize the opportunity for this tragedy.

RettroBands are worth the price to avoid this type of tragedy.

This has been my nightmare since prior to taking delivery of my RV. Yes, I got the RettroBands, hopefully will never need to prove if they work or not. I'm also glad to discover the Toyo brand which makes replacing tires less painful on the wallet and they seem to be a great tire in the end from what I learned. Don't stretch the timeline of those front tires. I went over 6 "in service" with mine and in the months leading up to my desired tire change I felt like I was driving on a ticking time bomb. Hated it. Ugly part of this lifestyle and safety is not cheap.

Exactly why the Red Diamonds are going on our Superstar in June.

Even though the Super Cs “should” be more controllable with a front tire blowout, I’d rather have the run flats to assist.

What is felt in a class A is different than a car, pickup or a super C due to the driver hanging out forward of the front wheels - In a blow out, the driver will drop MORE than the front axle drops. In a super C or in a typical car, since the driver is between the axles, the driver drops less than the front axle drops.
IMO, this extra sensation in an A-class or bus can cause a driver to over react to a blowout, resulting in loss of control.

I just replaced the steer tires on my coach. It is the start of a rotation for the next three years. Buy two and mount on the front and move the year old tires back. I will buy two more this fall and move the steers back to the tag. I will replace one side of the drives the next year the other side drives. I will go probably one year "tire free" and start the process over again. This keeps nearly new tires on the steers at all times. It also spreads out the wallet shock.

What is felt in a class A is different than a car, pickup or a super C due to the driver hanging out forward of the front wheels - In a blow out, the driver will drop MORE than the front axle drops. In a super C or in a typical car, since the driver is between the axles, the driver drops less than the front axle drops.
IMO, this extra sensation in an A-class or bus can cause a driver to over react to a blowout, resulting in loss of control.
Will be different in a super c.

An individual we rode Harley’s with totaled his super c and trailer, to the tune of about 1.5 mill, when the front driver tire blew.

Either way a good insurance policy to have installed from my point of view.

Horrible accident. Did you catch the towed vehicle heading down the road, going the wrong way, in the right lane just after the impact? Hopefully that didn't hit anyone head on.

Latest resources

Back