• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Mppt

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
No solar, there is a covered plug near the battery storage box that I think is to plug in a solar panel. Just wondering if that's what it is for is it connected to a mppt ?

If solar ready, that just means the wires are stubbed in.

Sorry, I left my secret Decoder Ring in my other pants.

Does a 2019 sunset lite 291rk have a mppt controller built in.
I would say it most likely does not but a quick inspection along with a review of the specs and/or build sheet if available would tell you. But if you are considering solar, the charge controller will be among the least expensive components of the system and even if your trailer did come with one, you would probably want to replace it with a higher quality unit anyway. Also depending on the system you install, you may be ok with a PWM controller. Here’s a comparison:

If a PWM controller works for you, this is a good one and cost $20 on Amazon:

Sorry, I left my secret Decoder Ring in my other pants.
Sorry! Stubbed out simply means the wires are there?

If there is a controller there, most likely it is PWM! you would need to check on that.

MPPT is the only controller worth anything. Of course that is my opinion!

WHY!!!

PWM is a chopper circuit!
It limits your choice of panels to what is known as a 12volt panel.
It limits you to lead acid batteries.
In cloudy conditions it can render your power output close to useless.

MPPT is basically a smart DC to DC converter! The 80 dollar 60amp controller I use can!!!
Allow for 70 volts panel input. Even on a socked in day like today I am getting 150 watts off one of my arrays. They would be producing more but the batteries are in maintenance mode, it is 1:00PM.
They can be used as cccv charge controllers on lithium or other battery types.
They protect the battery better. (3stage charging)
Open up the lower priced grid tie panels, where used reperposed panels are easily found. .

A 60 amp controller is good for 720 watts of solar panels, making an upgrade less costly.

In closing I can't attested to the quality of the PowMr controllers, I use, other than I personally have not had one fail in 8 years. I have recommended them to many people, that have purchased them, and have never been told of a failure. They may be less efficient than some higher priced units, and don't have any bells or whistles, but if you can't find a controller in your solar ready RV that may not be important to you!

I have a habit of telling people, if they are always checking the charge of the batteries, they need a larger system.

Hope that is the dissertation you were after @DKRITTER .

I use PWM controllers on all my low wattage solar chargers with 12v panels. They are more efficient and less expensive and they do the job just fine. I don’t know what the exact cut off point is but for anything around 150 watts or lower a PWM controller is the logical choice. The panels on my coach are residential 315w 33v panels so of course for that system I use MPPT. But for my home generator battery and my gate controllers I use PWM. It would be a waste to use MPPT controllers in low wattage 12v systems.

I use PWM controllers on all my low wattage solar chargers with 12v panels. They are more efficient and less expensive and they do the job just fine. I don’t know what the exact cut off point is but for anything around 150 watts or lower a PWM controller is the logical choice. The panels on my coach are residential 315w 33v panels so of course for that system I use MPPT. But for my home generator battery and my gate controllers I use PWM. It would be a waste to use MPPT controllers in low wattage 12v systems.
So @Rich W. I got involved in a volunteer type operation at the LTVA years ago! It has been some three years since I stopped doing solar runs.

Anyhow the first solar run as I called them, I thought PWM was acceptable and recommended and bought a few for those that placed an order!

Because of who I am! I had, for some time after that occasion all those PWM controllers were in my junk drawer, because without exception that group of people were displeased with those morning star controllers, so I bought them back!!!

Of the 100 or so panels purchased for others sense that time, controllers that I purchased have been MPPT, and have never had anyone complain about the cost or quality!

If you are happy with your investment I am happy for you! But if I recommend something, my reputation is to valuable to me to recommend such outdated junk!!! Just saying!

There are applications for both. It would be wasteful and less efficient to use an MPPT where a PWM is better suited. The Victron PWM I mentioned above is 3 stage, current tech, can be used for 12 or 24v (28 or 55v max), from arguably the best manufacturer available. We don’t know what type/size/application system the OP is planning and we can’t say which is best with the information available.

Latest resources

Back