Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
400hp
TOW/TOAD
2007 CR-V
Fulltimer
No
It seems our #2 unit (of three) is not working…. It runs and even pulls the usual 13-14 amps…but never cools or warms up. Fan blows normally…and it seems like the compressor is running (amp draw kind of proves that). Not sure where to start. I guess it just lost its Freon…but not enough to shut the compressor down. I am told you cannot charge these units, so a replacement may be in order.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Rich

It can be charged but you need a willing HVAC guy to solder in the ports and charge it, find out why it leaked down, and fix that. And the ones I’ve found willing (very few and far between) won’t warranty their work on these things. The alternative is a new $1800 unit so it’s probably worth a try if you can find someone. I had National in Shipshewana install a new one and kept the old one to tinker with (still haven’t touched it) because I was on the road and wanted a one-time, reliable repair.

Thanks. I agree with your assessment…. Finding a person to try to charge it may be challenging.

I don’t think it is simple like a capacitor as I think the compressor would not run if that had failed…

Thanks. I agree with your assessment…. Finding a person to try to charge it may be challenging.

I don’t think it is simple like a capacitor as I think the compressor would not run if that had failed…
I tried replacing the capacitors first because I couldn’t hear the compressor running but the tech at National said it was running, just lost its charge. Thats why I kept the thing - good for parts at least and maybe someday I’ll talk my brother in law, nephew, or son (all three qualified) into experimenting with it. So far they haven’t shown much interest.

I'm thankful mine lasted this long, I attribute it to using soft starts. I did not expect to get 7 years out of them, hope they keep going but it's in the mental budget of it's okay if they fail now, I got more time than expected out of them. Even in storage I do run them as I learned from my dash air failure that everything needs to be moving, cycling, etc. on an interval.

We had a unit go out in the same manner, running with normal draw, but no cooling.
Since ours was 10 years old we just replaced it.
Not a fan of this mentality to replace instead of fixing it. Such a waste.
Old unit was A/c only. Replaced with a a/c & heat pump unit to give us more options for heating, since it was virtually the same price as the a/c only unit.
We have 2 more units on the roof that we are waiting to see how much more time we get from them.

I'm thankful mine lasted this long, I attribute it to using soft starts. I did not expect to get 7 years out of them, hope they keep going but it's in the mental budget of it's okay if they fail now, I got more time than expected out of them. Even in storage I do run them as I learned from my dash air failure that everything needs to be moving, cycling, etc. on an interval.
Ironically, and more likely coincidentally, our #1 and #3 units have soft starts…

You don’t really need to solder ports in. They have the puncture type now.

Attachments

• IMG_3667.jpeg
    IMG_3667.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3668.jpeg
    IMG_3668.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
You don’t really need to solder ports in. They have the puncture type now.
Oh wow - this seems almost too good to be true. As a caveman, can I do this? ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back