Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Retiringsoon

RVF Newbee
Retiring soon and looking to spend time traveling off and on in a 26 ft class C. Husband is anxious about driving a large vehicle. He definitely doesn't want to tow a car behind it. My question is, we plan on staying in state parks. How much of a pain is it to get into town to visit the sites Or shop if needed, if your only transportation is the RV? Do most people tow a car or do you just stay at your final destination and not leave the area?

We found it to be inconvenient when we tried it some years ago. One trip without a towed vehicle and we went out and purchased a 2014 Honda CR-V for the specific purpose of towing it behind our Class C.

Towing a small car is really no big deal. Properly set up, it simply goes where you go and causes no issues.

TJ

In a 26’er, it’s a non issue in terms of ease of ingress egress. Whether or not it is convenient, is a different story entirely. I would always recommend pulling a tow vehicle. It’s amazing how well they track behind a motorhome with a good setup. Often you forget they are there. What’s the concern about towing a vehicle? If he’s afraid of turning and the vehicle cutting in early and taking out a sidewalk corner or something like that, it doesn’t really
happen unless your motorhome was there first. Tow bars just don’t let the tow vehicle turn like that.

Also, if he’s nervous to drive something that big, tell him to go rent the largest Uhaul and drive it around til he’s comfortable. Won’t be any different except the ride will much nicer.

Last edited:
There are also many YouTube videos on driving large vehicles, which I found invaluable when preparing to move up to a longer class A.

Latest resources

Back