Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
The day started with leaving Badlands KOA (or whatever it's called) through Rapid City for a FedEx drop and Walmart visit for groceries heading to Custer Gulch, SD. Keep in mind there is a small event going on around here, yeah, Sturgis with 19.7 million motorcycles covering every square inch of SD. I pull into Walmart looking for the big rigs, it was a smaller than normal Walmart lot but made it work in the far end crossing parking spaces as others had done, I had the last spot, whew. Getting out of there was no problem, Walmart packed on Sunday but mission complete.

First off, the road (SD-44) from Badlands to Rapid City was done by some kid that failed "road grading" in school. What a roller coaster ride for about 50 miles. Poor Elli - but she doesn't care thankfully. But one of the worst roads I've driven on that's constant up and downs, a great road for Dukes of Hazard filming!

I was nowhere near Sturgis other than I'm in the same state as the event which could be a part of the problem here. Following good ole GPS then uh ohh, I'm in deep trouble. I turn to go down a city road (probably a main st.) and I see this:

cycles.JPG

I'm sure I missed a sign that said motorcycles only ahead and should have taken the truck route but that doesn't surprise me, this is what I'm here for! So I'm on the road stopped 100ft prior to the entrance to motorcycles only and I'm told to turn right into the Exxon and get through there - ain't gonna happen! Long story short I disconnected, we came up with a plan to back me up to where I am in this picture, connect the toad again, turn left, and bug out and hope to not make the 6 O'clock news! This location is Hill City, SD.

hillcity.jpg

This same situation could have happened again a few miles from my destination but I saw this one coming with all the motorcycles parked in the same manner and took an alternate route around the city center.

So yeah, never a dull moment in big rigs, rigs you can't backup when you have a TOAD connected. I was just glad to arrive at Custer's Gulch and not hear "so you were the one...".

I'm here, I'm not going outside my coach until it's time to leave!

If its the same as it was 20+ years ago (but with greater attendance) there is a somewhat organized ride to somewhere significant every day coinciding with a rally at a small town near by. Hill City might have coincided with a ride to Crazy Horse. Like Hulett and Devils Tower, Rapid City and the Bad Lands, etc. Probably a ride to Rushmore too, so keep that on mind when you leave. I never thought about it before, but it would probably be helpful to check the Sturgis schedule when traveling anywhere near there in early August.

Just found this link: Sturgis Rides, Sturgis Rally 2022

Sturgis ends the 14th. SD is bombed with bikes. Thank God we are now in Montana.

Sturgis ends the 14th. SD is bombed with bikes. Thank God we are now in Montana.
Motorbikes will start arriving on the 15th in Montana in great numbers.

Latest resources

Back