Chassis
Ford
Engine
460 TBI
TOW/TOAD
N/A
Fulltimer
No
Greetings. My wife and I just purchased a 1995 Winnebago Brave on a Ford chassis on a whim. We live in eastern Kansas right on I-70. We are planning a trip to Portland Oregon to visit our oldest daughter. I plan on taking the most direct route through Denver, Ogden and on to Portland. I am concerned that the mountains might give this big (32 footer) rig with just a gas powered 460 trouble getting up and down steep grades.
I’ve never driven this route and was hoping for some feedback and/or advice from more experienced road warriors. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Frank

You’ll get over the hills but some of it perhpas more slowly than you’d prefer, and you’ll want your cooling system (and everything else mechanically) in top shape for the run.

I tend towards the southern route, which in this case would be 40 to I-5. There are still grades but not what you’ll find in 70. Also 25 north out of Denver to 80 then 84 to Portland would be easier and not so far out of the way. Having driven them all, 70 through Western Colorado is the one I would (and do) avoid.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn’t clear but yeah, my intention was to go 70W to Denver and up 25 to 80 and then 84 to Portland. I should have been more detailed. I have never driven route before but it sounds like a viable option. I have made the trip from home to San Diego more times than I can remember. Never saw an interstate from Salina to Tucumcari. The winds on 15 can be hell though.
Any thoughts on secondary roads on that northern route that can shave an hour or two??
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back