• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Wrestlingdad73

RVF Newbee
Hello all,

Glad to be a member of the forum. I am not new to camping, and have own a travel trailer in the past but sold it a few years back.

My wife and I are looking to buy a new Class C or Travel Trailer this summer and I am hoping a forum can give us some information we can use to help make our decision. We do a lot of boating / whitewater rafting in the summer, however we do a lot of traveling when rafting and that leads to staying overnight.

When Traveling with a trailer we either have to pull doubles to tow our raft or we would have to take two outfits everywhere which is our biggest issue with buying a new trailer. Our issues with a Class C is depending on the spot we have to shuttle to for rafting we may not be able to get there in a Class C and what do you guys do when you want to travel locally where you are camping if you did not tow a car? Do you have to tear down camp to go to town? Just seems like a lot of hassle for day trips away from a campsite.

I get there is not a perfect solution to the issues except maybe a pickup box camper though it wouldn't fit our family.

Anyway thanks for having me in the forums and all comments / suggestion are greatly appreciated!

Raft is a 14 foot raft, the trailer is approx 16 feet long. There is little to no tongue weight on the trailer, a guy can lift it with no issues, and the raft and frame are light. We are not worried about towing in any way, I have a CDL and I am very experienced driving trucks and trailers. Just trying to decided what the best option is for our camping lifestyle.

I suppose its all personal preference. I sure love the idea of the family all together in a Class C heading down the road, just not sure I like the idea of having to have someone else shuttle my raft once we get there, or the fact if we tow a raft with the Class C we have to tear down camp to go to town or sight see when a vehicle is required.

Which brings us to the travel trailer... either pull doubles or take two vehicles which in this day and age is expensive!!

Necessity is the mother of invention...

roof rack the raft, and bumper tow the trailer.
1649796263022.png

Raft is a 14 foot raft, the trailer is approx 16 feet long. There is little to no tongue weight on the trailer, a guy can lift it with no issues, and the raft and frame are light. We are not worried about towing in any way, I have a CDL and I am very experienced driving trucks and trailers. Just trying to decided what the best option is for our camping lifestyle.

I suppose its all personal preference. I sure love the idea of the family all together in a Class C heading down the road, just not sure I like the idea of having to have someone else shuttle my raft once we get there, or the fact if we tow a raft with the Class C we have to tear down camp to go to town or sight see when a vehicle is required.

Which brings us to the travel trailer... either pull doubles or take two vehicles which in this day and age is expensive!!
If you want a TT I would go with a pickup tow vehicle with the 8' bed. You can buy a fairly cheap pipe rack from harbor freight and haul the raft on it. The previous picture shows what it would look like minus the camper shell.

A "Class C" would let the family be together for travel!
Add and a tow a full-size pick-up, as suggested above. Put the raft on top of the truck! You then have a means to move the raft about, & a vehicle to "sight see", shop, etc!
Good Luck, & Have Fun......Whatever you decide!

Latest resources

Back