RV Model
Elkridge Xtreme Lite
RV Length
about 24 ft.
TOW/TOAD
Chevy 2500HD
Fulltimer
No
Hi, all. I'm TJ, and we are sort of casual RVers who only venture out once or twice a year. We have a smaller size (Approx. 24 ft.) 2017 Heartland Elkridge fifth wheel. Our home base is Arizona's high country, and we are getting older, so we limit our travels pretty much to our state and those close by.

Lately we have been talking about the possibility of buying or renting a park model for our winter vacations, but financial common sense makes it problematical. One, we would not be likely to use a park model for more than a month or so a year, so buying one for such limited use seems to be silly. Two, renting a park model (so we can use the car and not bring a big truck) costs considerably more than an RV spot for the same length of time.

Does anyone know if there are places where we could park the trailer more or less permanently, and just use it when we have the urge? Would that be cheaper than owning a park model and leaving it vacant most of the year?

Thanks to anyone who might have suggestions.

Welcome @TJMc. Great to have you join us. I hope some here can help with your questions. Welcome aboard.

Welcome to RVF, @TJMc from another "TJ." Glad to have you join us here.

Have you considered buying a small piece of property in the area where you want to locate the trailer? There are also some RV parks/resorts where you can buy a lot. Yes, the initial outlay could be substantial, but the result is that you have equity that can be recovered when you decide you no longer need the property. There's only a finite amount of land available, so property value usually remains pretty stable, and frequently increases, unless you overpay badly on a purchase.

We own a lot in a RV resort located in Montana and have found that the value has increased significantly in recent years. And, it is nice to be able to use it whenever we want; no reservations needed. ?

Just a thought.

TJ

Hi, TJ.

Are the lots you refer to in RV resorts improved, that is, do they have all the utilities installed? Is there a monthly HOA-type fee, or do you just pay for utilities as a homeowner would? It would be nice to park the trailer and forget it in a secure environment.

As for a buying a lot somewhere. it would need to have water, sewer, electric...we are a little reluctant to actually have a second home situation, and I would not want a lot where the trailer sat unattended for so long.

Thanks for your response.

TJ

Welcome @TJMc. Great to have you join us. I hope some here can help with your questions. Welcome aboard.
Hi Neal. Thanks for the welcome.

TJ

Hi, TJ.

Are the lots you refer to in RV resorts improved, that is, do they have all the utilities installed? Is there a monthly HOA-type fee, or do you just pay for utilities as a homeowner would? It would be nice to park the trailer and forget it in a secure environment.

As for a buying a lot somewhere. it would need to have water, sewer, electric...we are a little reluctant to actually have a second home situation, and I would not want a lot where the trailer sat unattended for so long.

Thanks for your response.

TJ
I can't speak for RV parks/resorts in general, but in our case all of the lots have water/power/sewer and most have been improved to include concrete parking slabs, concrete patios and outdoor kitchen facilities. The level of improvement is governed by the owner (within reason, of course). There are HOA fees as well. I'm sure each park/resort has different levels of improvements on the lots, but I would think all would have at least the basic utilities installed.

Here's a link to where we are (Polson Motorcoach Resort): #1 Rated Motorcoach Resort Overlooking Flathead Lake in Polson, MT Our resort is restricted to Class A motorhomes, but I'm sure there are similar facilities for different types of RVs.

TJ

I can't speak for RV parks/resorts in general, but in our case all of the lots have water/power/sewer and most have been improved to include concrete parking slabs, concrete patios and outdoor kitchen facilities. The level of improvement is governed by the owner (within reason, of course). There are HOA fees as well. I'm sure each park/resort has different levels of improvements on the lots, but I would think all would have at least the basic utilities installed.
TJ
Thanks so much for the information, TJ. Just knowing that they're out there gives me hope that we can find something suitable. Now I know what questions to ask at least!
TJ

Welcome from Georgia!

Welcome aboard!

Latest resources

Back