Lou Tenant

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Grand Design Momentum
RV Model
395M
RV Length
Stumbled upon this site while looking for a route from the PNW to Tuscon. Planning the first trip south for the winter . Was supposed to leave a week ago, but a medical issue got in the way. Trying to see if its is still feasible given the changing weather pattern. Hopefully, I can pick up some tips and tricks, and maybe pass on a few .

I'm not new to the RV lifestyle, but new to extended stays and longer trips now that we're retired.

B&B

Welcome to RVF, @Lou Tenant; glad you found your way here. We are also Northwesterners, splitting our time between Western Montana and Western Washington. Somehow, we didn't "get the memo" about going south for the winter. :LOL: Where in North Idaho will you be starting from on your trip south?

We are still in Montana (Polson) and the weather is definitely starting to turn. Right now, we are in the middle of a storm cell with high winds and heavy rain. There's a dusting of snow on the mountains at about the 6,000-foot level; typical for October here. You should be fine heading down to Tucson from North Idaho for at least the next couple of weeks.

TJ

Welcome from Georgia!

@TJ&LadyDi Starting out above Sandpoint. Thinking my route will be south to 90. East to 15 if I can get a good weather widow over the pass. South to somewhere around Vegas and then ??? Maybe south through Henderson into Phoenix.

The trip was supposed to Be from Id to Vegas for a Trap shoot . Then onto Phoenix for another one ,and end up in Tucson for the last big shoot of the calendar year and maybe head back around March .

The only potential issue I see on your proposed route is getting over Lookout Pass (Idaho/Montana border) on I-90. You just have to watch the weather as it is at 4,500' and can get some snow at this time of year. We plan to come over Lookout Pass on Friday and (at least right now) it looks easily doable. Snow level is supposed to be above 5,600'. If you are not in a real hurry, you could avoid Lookout Pass by taking ID 200/MT 200 up the Clark Fork and Flathead rivers to MT 93, then south to I-90. Pretty drive, but not the fastest.

Looks we have something in common beside RVing; clay target shooting sports. I have long competed in the skeet discipline. Early in my shooting life, I did shoot trap but seemed to gravitate to skeet In my later years. Good luck at the shoots. Powder 'em all!

TJ

Latest resources

Back