Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

w0rldwidewes

RVF Newbee
Hey everyone, I'm new and looking to buy before the end of the year. I have myself, wife, and three kids under 6. I have been given some tips that I'd like to validate on here as well as learn all I need to know! We live in Texas and will do much of our traveling within the state in the beginning. I've been told to avoid a steel exterior because they are harder to cool, but they are everywhere! Any advice welcome and I look forward to starting this new adventure!

Wes

What kind of units are you looking for? Full time, part time or weekend warrior? Are you trying to stay mostly off grid? At campgrounds? Or a mixture of both and if so, approximately what ratio of off-grid to campgrounds?

Welcome from Wisconsin. Tell us more about what rigs you are considering and your budget.

At first, we'll want to stay at campgrounds until we get used to the experience, but would like to mix in some off the grid camping, hoping to get out once a month or so. I'm looking at anything that includes a "bunkhouse" for the little ones (Forest River Wildwood, Jayco Jay Flight, Heartland Trail Runner, Aerolite etc....27-30 ft). Would like to stay under 20k.

What do you have you are planning to pull it with? That may influence what you can tow. If necessary, and suggested, go to the vehicle dealer with your VIN number. They can give you the real numbers, gross weight, curb weight, cargo weight and etc. Much better than "what someone said" or I have one of those and never had any issues. There are some tow vehicles with a trailer behind them and when in a good crosswind and they behave like a weather vane. This is not desirable either.

I actually don't currently have anything to pull a travel trailer with, that'll be a purchase I'm looking to make as well.

I actually don't currently have anything to pull a travel trailer with, that'll be a purchase I'm looking to make as well.
The banks gonna love you brother! Welcome to the forum!

Welcome! Here’s a free ProTip for you as you get into this - your RV dealer doesn’t know and doesn’t care what you can tow the camper with. All they care about is that you get it off their lot. You do your homework on what truck you need once you’ve selected your camper.

Latest resources

Back