Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cici

RVF Newbee
My GF and I live in VA. We have been looking at RVing for quite a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Our preference is probably a travel trailer because we want to be able to disconnect and drive around our destination without taking the RV. Like many, we are both working from home and would like to use this opportunity to do a long trip (like 1 - 3 months). We have seen much of the East Coast, so our first idea is to fly to the Seattle area and buy something there and work our way back to VA. Of course, this introduces ALOT of logistic issues. We both have some experience towing < 20 ft. boats. So not complete newbies, but I know an RV is much different to tow. Our #1 requirement for an RV is one where we can both work (meaning be on calls at the same time without interrupting each other). We did think about renting one, but the rental costs for that long seem to be almost half of purchasing one. So far, the smallest travel trailer we have found that has a door to the sleeping area is 27'...have to admit that is a bit intimidating.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I grew up in the Rv biz and back in the 70s we had a sales guy that would fly us 200 mi to a dirt strip near a motorhome mfg plant and drive five new coaches back to the dealership. We would leave the plant and if three made it back without breaking down we felt that was a good trip.
I would buy a trailer and tow vehicle at home and use the road trip to shake things out and get to know the setup close to home. Since you have a few months you could spend four or five days on the interstate for a fast run west then slow down and enjoy life.

These are new times in the RV world. You may spend most of the trip looking for an RV to go back home with. Trucks are just as hard to come by. It may be possible but you will likely pay premium for them.

Not to be discouraged you may spend less time and money if you look for something local and plan the trip after you have found a match. You can then travel both directions and see more of the country in less time than looking for a trailer on the other end.

I appreciate the feedback. We actually just decided to buy local and probably do a loop around East Coast and into Mid-West. We will have to do the PNW another time. Lots of places in western NY, Michigan, Illinois, etc. that we haven't seen as well. I think we were biting off more than we could chew with the PNW idea.

Thanks again for the advice and happy to be in this group!

I appreciate the feedback. We actually just decided to buy local and probably do a loop around East Coast and into Mid-West. We will have to do the PNW another time. Lots of places in western NY, Michigan, Illinois, etc. that we haven't seen as well. I think we were biting off more than we could chew with the PNW idea.

Thanks again for the advice and happy to be in this group!
Wow! I want to do the great circle around the Lakes again. That's a couple of months all by itself.

Welcome. Plenty to see East of the Mighty Mississippi. Key West, the Outer Banks, Gettysburg, Independence Hall, Boston, DC, Savannah, to name a few.

Latest resources

Back