• Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I not only don't like additions to the back of a pull trailer, but almost lost our lives to such a contraption. I would find a way to use a roof top container over using a convenient appendage like your trailer has.
Wow good advice and sincerely glad you werent killed or injured! I am making a trip to my local RV technician in a few weeks for some plumbing and electrical upgrades, I will most sincerely inquire per your input! Part of the upgrade involves deep cycle batteries and inverter forward and I was wondering how that would affect the weight distribution. It did come with a load distributing / antisway system. Its an older one, and also on the list of things to make sure are installed and functioning properly.

There is more to the equation than weight but that pretty much sums it up. Take a look at these two set-ups, with them I will explain what I see.

1). With the rig in the background not all things are clear but... This cargo trailer was factory built with weight distrobution for a 1000# Gold Wing bike in mind. The placement of the tie downs are in the back of this trailer with the belief it had to be balanced with that weight at the back of the trailer. If you will look the axles are quite a bit further back than other similar trailers. You might wonder why, but that is what we are talking about. Today the bike is gone but all my possessions are inside and special allowances had to be made to distribute the weight in order to balance the trailer 10 to 15% hitch weight. Believe it or not the majority of the weight is restrained twards the back and over the axles.

20210426_093428.jpg

2) This 5th has been extensively modified for modern times. It only looks like something from the 80's pin weight is strictly paid attention to. Even the placement of the slightly over 300# of solar was placed for hitch weight. The interior was updated with light materials to keep payload of the trailer as close to original as I could. Put another way my weight placement and carrying capacity are on target (I can carry as much equipment as was designed into the original design). While we are at it take note the difference in wheel placement of both trailers, with a tape measure it is more evident. HInt: The box of both trailers is what we are looking at and what is over the pin on the 5th accounts for the 10% increased weight of the pin. Notice that I have removed the propane tanks from their original location and they are stored while underway in the TV. The double is a total different topic and we will only say it is a trailer rather than platform for the exact reason Of my original post on your thread.

20210426_093523.jpg

Balancing weight is paramount, but how wind will effect the rig is just as important. In my above story the nail in my coffin, would have ultimately been the wind gust created as a DP passed me when a fair side wind was present. To answer the question about house batteries. I had 4 GC-2 batteries on the hitch of the trailer when I almost lost control of the TV and trailer. I analized the problem and what likely saved us from disaster. What it came down to was the 2 front tires of the trailer failed shifting the center of stability back by 1/2 of the spindles center line. What does that mean? 20 inches of balance would have saved Saundra and myself the scare of a lifetime.

FYI I was using both sway control, mostly because the trailer did not follow as well as it should and made me uncomfortable. and an equalizer hitch. Also for the record everyone I asked about that thing on the back of my trailer said it should not be a problem, however once I cut it free all problems were solved. Go figure.

Kevin is correct. The further back you hang weight on your camper the more it unloads the tongue weight. If it's too light at the tongue and too heavy in the rear this thing will sway uncontrollably and be dangerous to drive. So you'll need to do something to offset the extra weight in the rear.

There is more to the equation than weight but that pretty much sums it up. Take a look at these two set-ups, with them I will explain what I see.

1). With the rig in the background not all things are clear but... This cargo trailer was factory built with weight distrobution for a 1000# Gold Wing bike in mind. The placement of the tie downs are in the back of this trailer with the belief it had to be balanced with that weight at the back of the trailer. If you will look the axles are quite a bit further back than other similar trailers. You might wonder why, but that is what we are talking about. Today the bike is gone but all my possessions are inside and special allowances had to be made to distribute the weight in order to balance the trailer 10 to 15% hitch weight. Believe it or not the majority of the weight is restrained twards the back and over the axles.

View attachment 6519

2) This 5th has been extensively modified for modern times. It only looks like something from the 80's pin weight is strictly paid attention to. Even the placement of the slightly over 300# of solar was placed for hitch weight. The interior was updated with light materials to keep payload of the trailer as close to original as I could. Put another way my weight placement and carrying capacity are on target (I can carry as much equipment as was designed into the original design). While we are at it take note the difference in wheel placement of both trailers, with a tape measure it is more evident. HInt: The box of both trailers is what we are looking at and what is over the pin on the 5th accounts for the 10% increased weight of the pin. Notice that I have removed the propane tanks from their original location and they are stored while underway in the TV. The double is a total different topic and we will only say it is a trailer rather than platform for the exact reason Of my original post on your thread.

View attachment 6523

Balancing weight is paramount, but how wind will effect the rig is just as important. In my above story the nail in my coffin, would have ultimately been the wind gust created as a DP passed me when a fair side wind was present. To answer the question about house batteries. I had 4 GC-2 batteries on the hitch of the trailer when I almost lost control of the TV and trailer. I analized the problem and what likely saved us from disaster. What it came down to was the 2 front tires of the trailer failed shifting the center of stability back by 1/2 of the spindles center line. What does that mean? 20 inches of balance would have saved Saundra and myself the scare of a lifetime.

FYI I was using both sway control, mostly because the trailer did not follow as well as it should and made me uncomfortable. and an equalizer hitch. Also for the record everyone I asked about that thing on the back of my trailer said it should not be a problem, however once I cut it free all problems were solved. Go figure.
Thank you again and thank you for sha

View attachment 6519

View attachment 6523

ring the photos! Wow nice rigs! Will definitely have the technician check the tongue weight when they do the upgrades!

Kevin is correct. The further back you hang weight on your camper the more it unloads the tongue weight. If it's too light at the tongue and too heavy in the rear this thing will sway uncontrollably and be dangerous to drive. So you'll need to do something to offset the extra weight in the rear.
Thank you and Kevin both for the input. Will definitely have the tech check the tongue weight when they do the mods. I suspect that having the new batteries forward of the balance point should offset the weight of the platform. The Antenna mast and antennas are Aluminum and plastic, so its the weight of the platform itself that could be the problem. Theres also a weigh station between myself and the tech, and I was thinking of stopping to see if I can get an idea of the total loaded weight. Cant seem to find any data on the original configuration.

Latest resources

Back