Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kbillings

RVF Newbee
We just purchased our first Rockwood Travel Trailer. We have camped 4 times and are now ready to winterize. We have some questions:

Do you leave any water in the black tank and grey tank with deodorizers?

Has anyone just blew out the water lines without adding antifreeze?

Any tips around winterizing?

My father in law and I both blow out the lines. It takes a long time but is nicer than messing with antifreeze in the water lines.

Make sure both tanks are empty and put a little antifreeze in your sink p-traps and in the toilets.

My father in law and I both blow out the lines. It takes a long time but is nicer than messing with antifreeze in the water lines.

Make sure both tanks are empty and put a little antifreeze in your sink p-traps and in the toilets.

How much do you mean by a little? Following for pointers, as I’m in the same spot.

How much do you mean by a little? Following for pointers, as I’m in the same spot.
Just enough to fill the p-traps and low spots. Maybe a cup or two in each? I put a little extra in my toilet (black tank) because I know it needs a good cleaning after being neglected by the previous owners for 4 years.

I drain the water heater, drain the fresh water tank, open the low point drains, and connect my air compressor at #30 PSI to the city water port. Open all the faucets and blow until the water and spray stops. Don't forget to press the pedal and let the air blow out the toilet line. Then close all of the faucets allowing the system to pressurize. Disconnect the compressor and etc. from the city water port. Next Spring you should still have air pressure on the system, and it is ready for a freshwater fillup.

I put about anywhere from a cup to a pint in each of the drains, sink, lav, and shower. As to the grey tank and black tank, I drain them and flush them with lots of water leaving them as empty as possible.

Make sure the battery is fully charged and then disconnect the NEGATIVE cable at the battery.

Next Spring fill the fresh water tank, turn on the pump and allow a generous amount of water to flow through all of the faucets. ALSO, allow the water heater to fill BEFORE starting the heater.

I took my battery right off but I need a new one next year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back