Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Taveyorkie

RVF Newbee
Interested in learning about class A rvin. Don’t have one yet, but considering a purchase. Any guidance as to brands/manufacturers, common pitfalls to avoid, or any other help from owners would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to RVF, @Taveyorkie; glad you found your way here. Could you provide a little more information on what you might be looking for? Big, small, gas, diesel, new, used, general budget, etc.? That would help us focus our answers on your specific wants and needs.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @Taveyorkie; glad you found your way here. Could you provide a little more information on what you might be looking for? Big, small, gas, diesel, new, used, general budget, etc.? That would help us focus our answers on your specific wants and needs.

TJ
COVID has curtailed our international traveling. Refocusing on the US now. Narrowed our search to older gas powered class A’s. Want it large enough to be totally self contained due to some health issues. Have found a few around the year 2000 that appear to be in decent shape in the $20,000 to $30,000 range and 30 plus feet long. Leaning towards Newmar, Tiffin and Damon. Motor home manufacturer reputation is difficult to track with all the mergers etc and quality/reputation waxes and wanes with the years. We live near Elkhart, IN which sports many RV manufacturers and will be making some contacts there. We have plenty of indoor storage at our home. Our toad would be a Honda Civic. Any advice would be appreciated, especially which brands/manufacturers to avoid.

Hey @Taveyorkie ,

First welcome! Any older RV will require you to spend time looking at the systems. You can hire an appraiser if you like. This is the nitty gritty. By choosing an older rig reputation means very little. Drive train means a lot. Here is what you should look at.

As most are plastic delamination is hard to fix and expensive. (I would walk away if I could not live with it).
If a rubber roof, I would want to spend time looking at condition.
Water leaks from roof and wood rot.
All things inside and out must be tested to work, not taking any ones word for it, as they are not going to tell you.
Excessive interior wear likely means lived in if it has low mileage. One of the greatest advantages of older coaches is your imagination can be played out if you desire to change it up.
Drive train and chassis should be gone over no matter the mileage. Repairs get very expensive on the road starting with the tow to a repair shop.
If you spend some time reading the forum you will find electrical is a big problem on older coaches. If the batteries for the house do not match if more than one. Someone has no idea what they were doing or didn't care. The cables should not look like a plate of spaghetti. When someone that knows what they are doing with electrical it will not look like it was made due.
Any jacks it may have should not leak and checked to work.
Holding tanks should be checked and gate valves worked. Fill and drain the tanks so you can check for leaks.
Do the sink faucets drip?
Does the water pump pump the pressure up?
Is there a wet or water spot where the water lines run? if so does it look like it was repaired properly?

Do you plan on doing your own work or hiring it done? Only water damage or glaring chassis problems will get in my way of purchase, because I do my own work, but for many it will be hired done. This can lead to a very expensive coach. Like I said at the first of this post. manufacturer reputation on an old coach means very little. You can see problems even with an untrained eye. buckling, bulging, water damage, water leaks, tank damage, you name it a little time will tell you if it is your dream coach. Test drive will point out drive train and brake issues. Don't buy without an expert opinion if you can't tell if things aren't right with the drive train and chassis.

OH! One more thing, on a new coach the floor plan is important. If you find a rig where everything is in order the floor plan is low on the equation.

Welcome.

New or old rig - always look for water damage. Use your eye, nose and hands. In fact now I would buy a moisture meter and go over the walls and ceiling. Yes I now have such a meter. They are not expensive.

Oh and get an independent, certified RVIA inspector to inspect any used rig, prior to purchase

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back