• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

spiderj

RVF Newbee
Hello

We are new to campers so i thought i would jump on here and get some advice from the experts.

We have to kids under 10 years old and looking to get into a camper. It would be super helpful for some advice on what to look at, whats good, what to stay away from, etc.

I know its a pretty vague request but we arent sure where to start. We dont have a ton of money so need to keep it somewhat low in price so was thinking of popups. But we dont know how well they hold up, etc. Should we go that route or wait and save for something that would be a step up?

Any info is welcome and helpful.

Very excited to get into the lifestyle.

Welcome @spiderj to RVForums.com and also the lifestyle of RVing which is amazing. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from the super friendly people on this site. Welcome aboard.

Welcome! My fondest childhood memories are camping with Mom and Dad in their old pop up trailer. We recently helped our daughter get into a nice used Jayco pop up. It has tons of room and can sleep 8 people! I posted a couple pictures of it in the pop up section on this forum. It was less than $3 grand. Happy camping!

Thanks TJdave, i will look for that. So, for long trips, are there downsides or concerns with using a pop up?

First, welcome to RVF @spiderj; glad to have you here with us.

As for your first venture into RVing, don't overlook a well-maintained used one. Pop-ups are a good beginning choice and are usually a low-cost option. And, there are usually some well-maintained used ones available from folks whose life situations have changed and they are moving up to something that better fits their new situation. Don't overlook browsing in your local Craigslist for one.

With two kids under 10 years old, a pop-up would be fun for them; real camping in a convenient package. And, it would provide some conveniences for mom and dad; cooking facilities, storage, etc.

Good luck in your search.

TJ

Thanks, Is there anything specific i should look for in a used pop up? Things to check for when shopping that would be a red flag?

I would want to see the unit set up in my presence to be sure that all the mechanical parts of the pop-up mechanism were functional. Then, I would carefully inspect the tent fabric for any evidence of rot, leaking, and other damage of any kind. Finally, I would want to be sure that any appliances (stove, refrigerator, water heater, etc.) were functional. Look, also at the condition of the tires (learn about and find the tire date codes) and the on-board battery.

If all that passes muster, I think I would be pretty confident that the unit was in good condition.

TJ

Latest resources

Back