Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CyndiT

RVF Regular
Hi everyone! Just brought my rig home and trying to get setup for camping. I would love input on these things I need to purchase
1. 50 amp surge protector (I know Progressive is recommended). But do I really need it to be hard wired or will plug in suffice? I think I do have a gauge inside measure usage.
2. Water hose supply. Need pressure regulator suggestions. Does anyone know the size of the hose? I want to purchase a flexible one and quick connects (I am not at the RV right now).
3. Do I need chocks in a Class A? Also plan on getting the Snapads…I think they are 9”???
4. Plan on getting TPMS and Viair as well.
Thanks so much for any input!
Cyndi

Congrats
We have a 2016 Canyon Star.
1. Plug in is fine, we've have a progressive 50Amp
2. We use a 5/8 ID water hose, Renator adjustable regulator
3. Never used chocks
4 Have TPMS and Viair 450P-RV

1. Hardwired is nice because you don't have to worry about someone "borrowing" it, but both do the same job.
2. Hose is normal garden hose connections. Use 5/8" to minimize pressure loss. Renator Regulator
3. Never used chocks. Never lift the tires off the ground when leveling. Call or email snap pads with your model number and they can tell you which ones you need.
4. TPMS is highly recommended. I have had very good luck with Tireminder, but there are others that many people like as well.

1. Hardwired is nice because you don't have to worry about someone "borrowing" it, but both do the same job.
2. Hose is normal garden hose connections. Use 5/8" to minimize pressure loss. Renator Regulator
3. Never used chocks. Never lift the tires off the ground when leveling. Call or email snap pads with your model number and they can tell you which ones you need.
4. TPMS is highly recommended. I have had very good luck with Tireminder, but there are others that many people like as well.
Awesome! I was having a hard time discerning the difference between plug in & hard wire (aside from the theft issue). I did measure the levelers, but great to know I can email them. Def gonna do the TPMS, and unfortunately am gonna have to get new tires….good tread and no signs of dry rot but age….is a B! Thanks so much!

For #1 I would add that an EMS type is better than just a surge protector.

The EMS types will also shut off power on harmful conditions (low voltage etc).

We had a Progressive hardwired 30 amp that I installed in our old coach. Now running a Hughes Watchdog EPO 50 amp model. Nice since you can connect and see things from your phone as well. It is external but we haven’t been anywhere we have worried about it walking off.

We have been running the non flow thru TST TPMS for about six years. It has been trouble free to this point. I rebuild once a year with new gaskets and batteries in the caps.

Saved us twice last year getting alarms before bad things happened so we could get off the road. Whatever system you choose it is good to have them.

Hi everyone! Just brought my rig home and trying to get setup for camping. I would love input on these things I need to purchase
1. 50 amp surge protector (I know Progressive is recommended). But do I really need it to be hard wired or will plug in suffice? I think I do have a gauge inside measure usage.
2. Water hose supply. Need pressure regulator suggestions. Does anyone know the size of the hose? I want to purchase a flexible one and quick connects (I am not at the RV right now).
3. Do I need chocks in a Class A? Also plan on getting the Snapads…I think they are 9”???
4. Plan on getting TPMS and Viair as well.
Thanks so much for any input!
Cyndi
1 - This is what I use at the pedestal. It's also nice because you'll get indicator lights to show you if the pedestal has power and if it's wired correctly. Great first line of defense

2 - This is what I use now - Amazon.com - nothing but problems with adjustable types

3 - No

4 - I use and really like TSTTruck's TPMS - Home (do not use flow through sensors, they are heavier and not worth it)

5 - Viair - works great. Amazon.com

Congrats on your new to you coach. Welcome to RVForums.com - great to have you with us.

@Neal
Re: 4 - I use and really like TSTTruck's TPMS - Home (do not use flow through sensors, they are heavier and not worth it)

Hi Neal,
I have recently purchased the latest TST w/flow through but have yet to install, waiting for warmer weather. I was concerned by your statement and wanted to know if by this you just mean they are not worth the additional cost or that somehow they are not as good?

I purchased the flow through because they can be filled w/o removing (I'm some what maniacal about this) and I have all metal stems.

Thanks!

I would not use them on rubber stems or extensions such as I had and they beat up the wheel from vibration/flex. If you have them use them but I would not buy them again and if I have to replace any they won't be flow throughs. It's just as easy to unscrew the sensor as it is the cap and even with my flow throughs I still remove the sensor to fill. Personal preference.

I imagine you lose some air unscrewing the sensor? Not that it would be appreciable, trying to understand the salient differences.

Latest resources

Back