RV Year
RV Make
Keystone
RV Model
Montana Mountaineer
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Hello , My name is John. I just signed up here. New to RV world . I need advice and hope to find it here from kind people. I plan on volunteering at parks and exploring this beautiful country. I hope I get a chance to meet some of you down the road.

Hi, @John Diesburg; welcome to RVF. And, glad to see that you started your own new thread. That allows us to give you the proper acknowledgement. As you embark on your post-retirement RV adventure, we'd like to ride along with you via the forum. Please feel free to ask any and all questions and we'll do our best to provide our best answers.

TJ

Hi, @John Diesburg; welcome to RVF. And, glad to see that you started your own new thread. That allows us to give you the proper acknowledgement. As you embark on your post-retirement RV adventure, we'd like to ride along with you via the forum. Please feel free to ask any and all questions and we'll do our best to provide our best answers.

TJ
Thanks Tj and Lady Di . Right now I am researching buying a fifth wheel and matching the right truck to ensure proper power ratio to the camper. I have been looking at what appears to be under built or lack of better terms. Junk... I started thinking about better built and find that I will probably need a stronger truck for large hills and mountains. I just purchased a 2012 F250 Ford 6.2 liter truck. I like it but I found a camper that will challenge its 12200 lb. towing rating. I should have bought the truck after finding a camper I like. My question now is about what tow capacity should a truck have compared to my trailer??? I do have the opportunity to trade at a dealer for a F250 that has a 6.4 diesel instead of my 6.2 gas. I think the trade will be ok and the diesel has 76k miles vs. my 98k on my gas. Im excited to get out there but really want the right equipment before hitting the road.

For the larger 5th wheels, I think you really need at least a one-ton chassis; aka F350 or similar. A good rule of thumb is to stay at or below 80% of the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) of the tow vehicle. And, remember that the "better built" RVs will weigh more than the cheaper, less robust-built ones.

TJ

Latest resources

Back