• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NorcalXpress

RVF Newbee
Hello,

We are very interested in getting an RV trailer. It is my wife's dream to take our kids around the US and beyond to see all that nature has to offer. Right now we are looking at RV trailers and a truck at the same time. So we are pretty much open to anything as long as the price is right. The type of RV my wife wants would require us to get something around 32'-33', weighing around 6300lbs dry weight. If anyone has recommendations, we would love to hear it (both trailer and truck). Thanks, and I hope to someday be able to enjoy the RV life like so many of you.

Welcome aboard and I love spending other people’s money!

Welcome! Maybe just a little more information. For example, are you talking about two toddlers or are you talking about eight kids ranging in ages from 1 to 15 plus 3 dogs and 5 cats? How large your family is actually makes a huge difference on how you could full time or "long time" in an RV.

Welcome! Maybe just a little more information. For example, are you talking about two toddlers or are you talking about eight kids ranging in ages from 1 to 15 plus 3 dogs and 5 cats? How large your family is actually makes a huge difference on how you could full time or "long time" in an RV.
Hi FL-Joe. No problem. Have 2 kids: one is not even a year old and the other is 3. Plus, we have 3 dogs. 2 little ones and a big weimaraner. We are hoping to grow into the RV, so that is why we are looking at possibly larger ones compared to smaller.

Hi FL-Joe. No problem. Have 2 kids: one is not even a year old and the other is 3. Plus, we have 3 dogs. 2 little ones and a big weimaraner. We are hoping to grow into the RV, so that is why we are looking at possibly larger ones compared to smaller.
A large TT for sure with more than one slide out or a 5’er. JMO.

Getting a TT (travel trailer) or a fiver (fifth wheel) is probably your best bet. If you went with a Class A motorhome you would of course have to pull a toad. But the real issue with having the motorhome for a young family with dogs would be when and if you ever had to have your RV in the shop for overnight repairs.

There are advantages and disadvantages on both sides of the comparison for getting a TT or a fiver. With a TT you might initially get by a little cheaper plus you could have a topper enclosing your pickup truck for additional storage. The down side of a TT is that you may find it isn't as easy to pull down the road as a properly set up fiver combination.

There are unlimited possibilities when you begin your search. I would make a list of both of your "must have" items in a floorplan. For example, maybe the list would include a king bed, a set of bunk beds, 1 1/2 baths, and a washer and dryer. Then start hitting the internet and figure out what manufacturer has a pretty good reputation and which floorplan could work for you. Once you have narrowed it down to a couple you can decide on a truck to consider. Of course with a family your size I would think your future truck will have to have a mega cab or super cab.

Welcome from Georgia!

Latest resources

Back