Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
Hey guys, I know many of you have flat tow vehicles. Well, we have been using a dolly to bring our Nissan Rouge with us. The dolly works fine baring it dragging the road once in a while going across dips and things, but we decide to try the flat tow thinking a simpler setup, plus getting ready for Alaska and Twila really didn’t want to carry her car for so long.
It only the 2 of us and the dogs so we’re taking the back seat out and setting it up for the dogs. I need to remove the tint. Too dark for old eyes. then look at tow-bar options.

2008 Jeep Safari Sport.

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpeg
    IMG_0642.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
The base plate for a JK is over $600. If the front bumper is rated for towing, you can tow using the D ring mounts so that will save you the base plate cost. Roadmaster makes the tow bar adapters to fit the D ring mounts, they're about $150/set. I use them with my Demco tow bar.

The base plate for a JK is over $600. If the front bumper is rated for towing, you can tow using the D ring mounts so that will save you the base plate cost. Roadmaster makes the tow bar adapters to fit the D ring mounts, they're about $150/set. I use them with my Demco tow bar.
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

I use Blue Ox bumper mounts (BX88230) through bolted to the first cross member. I’m sure your 2008 is somewhat different but I had to make 11/16” spacers to go between the inside of the bumper and the forward surface of the cross member. Also welded gusset plates to the mounts to strengthen them. And then I had to get a 4” riser for the hitch to keep things level. The benefit to all this is that your tow bar will be higher so there is no danger of it contacting the pavements through dips pr over humps and it seems much stronger and more reliable than typical base plate mounts.

Edit: just looked at the pic - that bumper looks plenty stout enough to tow with so a kit to convert to those d-ring mounts might be just the thing. Just check with the bumber manufacturer to make sure. You might also need a 6” hitch riser depending on whether or not the jeep has a lift kit. Something like this maybe: https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Blue-Ox/BX88357.html
IMG_0648.jpeg

Hey guys, I know many of you have flat tow vehicles. Well, we have been using a dolly to bring our Nissan Rouge with us. The dolly works fine baring it dragging the road once in a while going across dips and things, but we decide to try the flat tow thinking a simpler setup, plus getting ready for Alaska and Twila really didn’t want to carry her car for so long.
It only the 2 of us and the dogs so we’re taking the back seat out and setting it up for the dogs. I need to remove the tint. Too dark for old eyes. then look at tow-bar options.

2008 Jeep Safari Sport.
We use the Blue Ox tow system for our F150 SuperCrew and love it. I went with the baseplate to ensue good strong mount to the frame. The F150 is a little heavier than the Jeep. Have a great Journey wherever it may be to.

Latest resources

Back