Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Michaeljt

RVF Regular
I purchased a class a motorhome last summer and camped locally to get get to know it. I want to go to Yellowstone this year but I'm not sure if I need to plan stops along the way and if I have to make reservations at Yellowstone or just boondocks close by. Any help would be appreciated.

Yellowstone in the summer is a very busy place and reservations for camping in or just outside the park are necessary. Lat summer with COVID-19 most of the campgrounds inside the park were closed.

If you are planning camping in YNP, without reservations, good luck. Class A spots, are tough to get on a first come first serve basis (Mammoth Springs, asan example). Trying to find a spot that will accommodate a 35 foot MH will be tough. Summer covers a broad span, but best bet would be call the reservations, talk with a person and seewhattheycan find for you. they maybe able to find several spots,in the same CG, that may require relocating to stay There. If you put when you were going, exactly, and equipment, you could get better answers.

Last edited:
There are very few places to “boondock” around Yellowstone and none within the park itself. We’ve been there numerous times with different RVs (5th wheel, Class C and Class A) and have stayed in a few different RV parks; all have required reservations during the busy visitor season (June through September). If you want to visit the park during that time frame, NOW is the time to be making reservations as RV parks fill up fast.

TJ

Use freecampsites.net to verify location but just outside the west entrance you will find a BLM dispersed campsite. Been there done it and would recommend it. I use the app when I travel and have found some real dogs and some real gems. I think I would rate the BLM location as a gem.

As an addition to my above post. I now use google earth to check the site ahead of time to see what I am getting into.

If you are planning camping in YNP, without reservations, good luck. Class A spots, are tough to get on a first come first serve basis (Mammoth Springs, asan example). Trying to find a spot that will accommodate a 35 foot MH will be tough. Summer covers a broad span, but best bet would be call the reservations, talk with a person and seewhattheycan find for you. they maybe able to find several spots,in the same CG, that may require relocating to stay There. If you put when you were going, exactly, and equipment, you could get better answers.
Thanks for the advice!

I purchased a class a motorhome last summer and camped locally to get get to know it. I want to go to Yellowstone this year but I'm not sure if I need to plan stops along the way and if I have to make reservations at Yellowstone or just boondocks close by. Any help would be appreciated.
This has been posted earlier, but in case you missed it, Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone is excellent. It is right at the west entrance. Judy D

Latest resources

Back