Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Gypsywanderer82

RVF Regular
What are some of those things you wish you knew from day one, when you started living in your Motorhome full time?

What are some Items that are must haves as a full time rv liver?

Thanks

What are some of those things you wish you knew from day one, when you started living in your Motorhome full time?

What are some Items that are must haves as a full time rv liver?

Thanks
first off it sounds better when you call someone an RV'er than a liver?. When I started living in my Motor home the one big item I wished I had known was I should have stuck with my pull trailer, just saying we should stick with what we found to work, rather than "move up?".

Now a more serious side but the above is true for me. I have found that all the things you think you need will sooner or later be trash canned. If one item can work for a couple of things the clutter is reduced and that makes life easer.

I was lucky to have met a couple that ran with a group of boon dockers. I got invited to join and did. The skill set and knowledge is a big asset, if you don't like scheduling months in advance of a move.

The Number one thing that I carry is camp etiquette. In my circle no one sets up many chairs for guests. Etiquette states you go visit, you carry your own chair. No one I know wants a 2 to 3 hr load-up to move so less is more.

Thanks, less is more is how I've lived life for years. My Mom used to tell me I had a Gypsy soul when I was a kid, never real got what she meant till I got out of the Army. I move almost yearly, I keep my personal belongings down to clothes, and my dogs stuff. I sell everything before i move and buy new bachelor pad kinda stuff on the other end. Big reason I feel the time is right at age 38 to transition over to the RV life.

I am going for a Class A Motorhome mainly cause I don't own a truck and I'd almost prefer to just pull my jeep behind my vehicle. Also for shorter trips where I don't feel the need of a run around vehicle I can just leave the Jeep at my brother's house. I just want to finally not have to always search for an apartment when I do decide to move somewhere, signing a lease keeps me stationary more then I want to be.

Once again thanks for the food for thought!! You Rock!!!

Full time traveling around the country you will see all types of RVs and RV styles. It is common to start in one size/type of rig and within a couple of years be in a different size and/or type.

Except for a 2 year period when we went back into a sticknbrick, we have been traveling full time for almost 11 years now. The #1 thing I wish we would have worked harder at the first couple of years was searching out deals on campgrounds. We have always booked sites in advance and pre-planned our travels, but we also tried to be within 20 or 30 miles of what we wanted to see and explore. As time went on we found that we could stay two weeks or sometimes a month in a campground much cheaper and still venture out and see everything. Our day trips might be a little longer but our annual average for campground fees went way down.

For us there are two very important things to have as full timers, a large refrigeration area and as much storage as possible.

Gotcha, keep that in mind when I look at potential RVs I'm interested in. I was originally thinking I'd stay in each place I visited for like a month at a time, of course depending on where I was. Like I'm sure I could spend almost a full year in and or around places like Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon, and even Yosemite. I'm just happy it's just me and my dog, we can go when we want and go where we want, just let the roads lead us.

Latest resources

Back