RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Rubicon
We have a 2020 New Aire 3545 and have run the batteries down several times connected to our home 110v power. Since its a GFI outlet it's probably 15A, maybe 20. What is your experience keeping the batteries topped off while connected to a 110V outlet? We try to kill everything we can when not in use but the fridge and sometimes the Dometic cooler are left running. Would that be enough to cut into the battery's charge? What's your experience?

I would pay an electrician to install a 30A on 50A service. Running batteries down below 10V will ruin them beyond repair. They are not cheap as you know.

Here’s mine. I have 1575w of residential solar panels (but of course they never make that much) and still with what‘s being used just in a stand-by mode throughout the day with the fridge on (keeping extra beer cold) I can’t rely on that to have the batteries charged up enough to keep everything going until morning, especially on cloudy days. Anyway the moral of the story is “have sufficient shore power”.

Usually while boon-docking I have enough power in the morning for toast and coffee before the sun is up enough to start making any significant contribution to the battery bank. There have been times when it wasn't enough and/or I couldnt use a toaster and coffee maker at the same time in the mornings. It all depends on the state of charge when the sun goes down.

My battery bank is six GC2 batteries - the standard compliment for non all-electric coaches (I like cooking with gas), and I have a 2kw inverter/charger, so your results will vary a bit. But the same principles apply: for a variety of reasons, regardless of what is published, you need more power than whatever you calculate and/or expect.
21D90EC8-1785-4E0B-B938-DBA24027216E.jpeg

As long as you are not tripping the GFI, 110/15 amp is plenty to keep lead acid batteries topped off…. It is something I did for years. Even with the fridge on.

@B & J T I don't have a New Aire but you might check your inverter/charger settings (Magnum unit on my Dutch Star). In the case of the Magnum units you can set a limit on the amount of current the unit is allowed to draw. I typically have mine set at 5 amps since once I park for the night and when in storage I'm in no hurry to recover the battery charge. This thought is probably only a help if you are tripping the circuit breaker on the house connection.

I agree with George.

Latest resources

Back