RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
500 Cummins
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Rubicon
Hi y'all from Texas
We are soon to been Newmar newbies, we will be pick up our 2022 4118 MA in late February, as we are updating our 42ft 2015 Itasca Ellipse that we love but are really excited about our new coach and hitting the road this spring.
Looking forward to any information you all may have about the MA
Thanks

Your coach is a great choice and probably the best available in the 40’ range. That said, its also highly complex and the learning curve will keep you busy for some time. Its a different world from the ’15 Itasca.

One example is the current emissions system. You should research and really learn the care and feeding of your emissions systems. While they are complex and fragile and can easily leave you stranded, and parts availability is still an issue, a thorough working knowlege of each system, how they are interrelated, and how they also operate independently of each other, and the various steps you can take to ensure their longevity and reliability, will go a long way towards your enjoyment, uninterrupted travels, avoiding unnecessary towing, and preventing down time in some shop miles from home.

Its possible to get on top of these systems, but you have to do it on your own - there is no one good source for an all inclusive manual of emissions management, so diligent, deliberate research is your only option.

Otherwise you are st the mercy of poorly designed, engineered, and manufactured components using products of questionable quality and reliability. Also once you have a good understanding and working knowledge of the systems, a really good method of monitoring controlling the systems, such as OTR diagnostics, is beyond preferable - its essential.

Last edited:
Where does a person need to look to find all this knowledge on the emissions system,
Is this a Cummins problem or Spartan problem?

IMHO, don't spend a lot of time worrying about something that may never happen. Keep fresh DEF in the thing, good diesel and drive on! Congrats on the new coach and enjoy!

FL-Joe is right for the most part. Good fresh DEF less than 6 months old (learn and check the date code) and dont let it get too much below 1/2 tank, and you should be ok.

Spartan is responsible for the DEF system and Cummins for the DPF. Your coach should come with a gen 7 DEF head which so far seems to be ok, but do a little research on that. If they start to fail like all six of the earlier models, you might want to consider carrying a spare since they are always behind in availability. There are differing opinions on that for good reasons, but given limited availability, if they do start failing, it might be worth it (around $1000).

Also my experience has taught me that you should change your DEF filter annually - the 300k miles/3 year standard (or whatever Spartan is saying these days) works for big rigs that are contantly driven, but not for coaches that sit for months at a time. Its around $60 and an easy job - cheap insurance. You wont find this bit of PM info on the web - I learned it the hard way and its my own finding. I carry a spare DEF filter, just like spare fuel filters.

For the DPF part of the system (completely separate and before the DEF part), you should run forced regens periodically based on milage. You cant determine the need without monitoring (based on soot level in the filter) but you can run preemptive regens as preventative maint. I doubt Spartan coaches have the switch on the dash for this but they will have some method for initiating regens. Ask Spartan about it - not your dealer or Newmar.

Since its all under warranty, you dont have to worry about the cost of repairs, but the systems can leave you stranded, and parts can be on back order, so thats what you need to get in front of. The dealers dont know and Cummins wont be of much help (if any) but there is a lot of good info on the internet. Spartan has great customer service so develop a relationship with their owner care folks ahead of time so that when you need them you’ll already know where to turn.

You dont need to stress or worry too much about this as Joe said, but for continued enjoyment, the more familiar you are with it, the better. Consider it a new hobby you didn't really need, but you have it anyway. It could help you avoid a tow, and lengthy stay at a shop, which is the goal. Email me if you have any specific questions. I’ve been stranded three times by my emissions and I feel pretty confident now that Ive familiarize myself with how it all works and how to maintain it. I‘ve driven over 30,000 trouble free miles in the last year.

Last edited:
FL-Joe is right for the most part. Good fresh DEF less than 6 months old (learn and check the date code) and dont let it get too much below 1/2 tank, and you should be ok.

Spartan is responsible for the DEF system and Cummins for the DPF. Your coach should come with a gen 7 DEF head which so far seems to be ok, but do a little research on that. If they start to fail like all six of the earlier models, you might want to consider carrying a spare since they are always behind in availability. There are differing opinions on that for good reasons, but given limited availability, if they do start failing, it might be worth it (around $1000).

Also my experience has taught me that you should change your DEF filter annually - the 300k miles/3 year standard (or whatever Spartan is saying these days) works for big rigs that are contantly driven, but not for coaches that sit for months at a time. Its around $60 and an easy job - cheap insurance. You wont find this bit of PM info on the web - I learned it the hard way and its my own finding. I carry a spare DEF filter, just like spare fuel filters.

For the DPF part of the system (completely separate and before the DEF part), you should run forced regens periodically based on milage. You cant determine the need without monitoring (based on soot level in the filter) but you can run preemptive regens as preventative maint. I doubt Spartan coaches have the switch on the dash for this but they will have some method for initiating regens. Ask Spartan about it - not your dealer or Newmar.

Since its all under warranty, you dont have to worry about the cost of repairs, but the systems can leave you stranded, and parts can be on back order, so thats what you need to get in front of. The dealers dont know and Cummins wont be of much help (if any) but there is a lot of good info on the internet. Spartan has great customer service so develop a relationship with their owner care folks ahead of time so that when you need them you’ll already know where to turn.

You dont need to stress or worry too much about this as Joe said, but for continued enjoyment, the more familiar you are with it, the better. Consider it a new hobby you didn't really need, but you have it anyway. It could help you avoid a tow, and lengthy stay at a shop, which is the goal. Email me if you have any specific questions. I’ve been stranded three times by my emissions and I feel pretty confident now that Ive familiarize myself with how it all works and how to maintain it. I‘ve driven over 30,000 trouble free miles in the last year.
Does anyone know if a Coach sold in California would have any different emissions installed on them then other states like Texas

Does anyone know if a Coach sold in California would have any different emissions installed on them then other states like Texas
They are all initially the same.

50 state emissions

Latest resources

Back