Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RobC

RVF Newbee
Any ideas on how to quiet my genset. Its built in to the rig and is loud. I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other and it still drives me nuts, never mind anyone close. This is in a 2017 Georgetown, the exhaust is in front of the rear wheel. I now know why I see m'homes with gensets using Honda portable units. Any suggestions other han buying a Honda.

I know itseems loud. I used to think mine was loud, until I parked in a rest area amongst big trucks all running diesel engines. When I walked back from the restroom, I realized I could not even hear my generator until I got real close. Mine was not bad and certainly quieter than their engines.

I know that does not help, but they do make some noise.

Just read minutes ago on another forum in the Newmar thread that their 2017 generator had the rubber engine mounts fail and the fan destroyed the shroud. Hopefully that's not the problem. Stinks that they failed so quickly.....

Any ideas on how to quiet my genset. Its built in to the rig and is loud. I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other and it still drives me nuts, never mind anyone close. This is in a 2017 Georgetown, the exhaust is in front of the rear wheel. I now know why I see m'homes with gensets using Honda portable units. Any suggestions other han buying a Honda.
People have "quiet" generators for many reasons. Although this "there quiet ", even though they aren't, is seldom the reason.
The number one reason for "quiet generators ", is fuel efficiency.

When the neighbors are complaining about that inconsiderate MH owner, the owner is inside totally oblivious to the noise because the A/C is running at a higher decibel level drowning out the noisy generator. So it seems that there is a time when people tolerate noise, and must open the wallet, the rest of the time they save on fuel.

It's not the noise that I object to most, It's the fumes! When I get told "what am I supposed to do?" I point at my roof. The choice was for my sanity as well as those that are around me. My system came in at less than a Honda 2000i

I knew my Onan was fairly loud but we generally only use it while driving so it didn't really matter. Then one evening our neighborhood lost power for quite a few hours. We just popped out to the RV and fired up the Onan. Nice inside but outside with the rest of the neighbors all quiet it was pretty rough. So not so long ago on mine I determined I could add a little noise insulation around mine without messing up the airflow. Stands to reason, you put a noisy machine in a metal box, it's going to be even noisier. I found a thick mat style and then after finding a better glue, I got it. Then later I came up with some acoustic foam like they use in studios and glued that on top of the mat. Neither being very thick actually there's still plenty of room.

Then I got sidetracked. But I plan to get in the generator exercise this weekend and look forward to seeing if I can tell if what I did helped. It surely couldn't have made it worse. I've kicked around seeing if I could put a better muffler on and then maybe one of those exhaust extensions up to the roof but we'll see.

At a big multi-day car show/swap meet I go to I've noticed a few RV's to be there in the middle of things with small inverter generators running. I could see why right away. With all the stuff going on, no one wants to haggle over old car parts next to a roaring generator. If I manage to talk my wife into doing the same I would buy and take along just such a generator too. Just big enough to keep the fridge and one AC going during the day. At night when all the folks had left I'd probably let the Onan rip. As is we park across the street with full hookups. Wife likes it there.

People have "quiet" generators for many reasons. Although this "there quiet ", even though they aren't, is seldom the reason.
The number one reason for "quiet generators ", is fuel efficiency.

When the neighbors are complaining about that inconsiderate MH owner, the owner is inside totally oblivious to the noise because the A/C is running at a higher decibel level drowning out the noisy generator. So it seems that there is a time when people tolerate noise, and must open the wallet, the rest of the time they save on fuel.

It's not the noise that I object to most, It's the fumes! When I get told "what am I supposed to do?" I point at my roof. The choice was for my sanity as well as those that are around me. My system came in at less than a Honda 2000i
What is on your roof?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back