RV Make
Cherokee
RV Model
Wolf Pup 14CC
TOW/TOAD
2015 Honda Pilot
Fulltimer
No
Picking up our new travel trailer next weekend, and up till now we've just had a popup with a blue tote for grey water. Youtube has been a wonderful source of info so far on water heaters and black tanks that will be new to us. I gather you should make sure you have plenty of liquid in the tank, dump the black tank first and let the grey tank rinse out the dump hose. Friends of mine recommend using the public bath house for #2 if you can, I would tend to agree that makes things trickier. We already picked up a few things for the new TT like a dump hose, the RV TP, and the Campa-fresh stuff for treating the black tank. Any other tips folks can suggest? I'm sure the RV dealer will also show us what we need to know during the walk-through.

When we have full hooks that includes sewer we use our own bathroom and don't go to public bathrooms. The black tank we use chemicals but they're good debate for and against using them. The gray tank can smell worse than the black tank and throw in some food particles and little black mold and which is often over looked. On travel days I would put dawn in the gray tank and double dose of black tank chemical in the black tank and fill the tanks about 1/3 full. Driving down our wonderful pot hole bumpy roads acts like a wash machine cleans the tanks. Last year in campgrounds a fellow camper said put dose of PineSol in you gray tank and 1/2 tank of water between campgrounds and dump when you get there and check what comes out. A lot of black mold came out when dumping the gray tank.

@Gizmo I would add that you should also add a small bottle of calgon to each tank along with the dawn, maybe once a month on travel day. Fill to 1/3 and let the sloshing take place.

@Gizmo I would add that you should also add a small bottle of calgon to each tank along with the dawn, maybe once a month on travel day. Fill to 1/3 and let the sloshing take place.
I have not done that but I'm going to start since so many people recommend it. I just shocked at all the black colored mold in the gray tank. Scary...

Picking up our new travel trailer next weekend, and up till now we've just had a popup with a blue tote for grey water. Youtube has been a wonderful source of info so far on water heaters and black tanks that will be new to us. I gather you should make sure you have plenty of liquid in the tank, dump the black tank first and let the grey tank rinse out the dump hose. Friends of mine recommend using the public bath house for #2 if you can, I would tend to agree that makes things trickier. We already picked up a few things for the new TT like a dump hose, the RV TP, and the Campa-fresh stuff for treating the black tank. Any other tips folks can suggest? I'm sure the RV dealer will also show us what we need to know during the walk-through.
I've got a friend that always uses the shower house for showers and toilet even though his rv has facilities, I told him I didn't buy my rig to do that, I don't understand that thinking.

When you're set up at a campsite for a long enough time to deploy your drain hose, it naturally has to run down hill. So first I bought the little supports that unfold and they're really a pain. Fall over easily and such. I bought 2 lengths of plastic house gutter. Cut them to a length that they would fit in my basement compartment. Then threw a few blocks in there to block the beginning of the hose up high and in case I need two lengths I have one to put in the middle at the joint. Makes things so much easier.

Now I have a sani con and I love it. I don't have to deal with collapsible sewer hoses any more.

I've been Rv,ing for many years. I always use the Rv toilet. Why would I want to sit on some public toilet when I have a god throne made by Dometic to sit on? lol....

I put in a 2 oz shot of Rv toilet chemicals after every black tank dump(about 3 days worth), and use lots of water when flushing, and as mentioned, use the grey water to clean out the hose when done. A little enzyme helps not only for smell, but to help break down solids. I have a clear elbow at my sewer hose exit, and I can see things are liquified well.

WE do not use that very expensive bum wha they sell for a premium at Walmart, or god forbid an Rv store for stupid prices. We do buy the cheap Safeway Signature brand toilet paper, it dissolves very well. Just don't use that double ply and then make a "mitt" to wipe with. This Safeway/Vons/Carrs, and whatever name they are under serves us well, it's cheap. The rolls are small and thin ply though, so we stay stocked up.

My Rv has a hose connection for flushing the black tank, very handy as we are parked for long term till spring. When we leave, I'll put in 1/3 a tank of water with that good black tank cleaner that eats stuff up, and let it slosh around. I've taken older Rv,s with dried up poop pile in the black tank, and by morning it was all foam and bubbles, and was gone.

And be strict about Rv toilet use and cleaning. NOTHING goes in there unless you eat it and only the PROPER TP. No wipey dipes allowed, no floss, ect. DO NOT use bleach products to clean, it will kill the germs in your black tank, the ones that help to break things down. And always let your black tank fill up before dumping to help things to loosen up. Lots of water is good.

Also, I pay attention to the lean of any dump site I might need to use. When boondocking, you need all the empty tank you can get!

One last thing, and for most of us it is like; "yea no kidding". But it happens. People will dump their black tank and then do not shut the valve, and end up with a mess.

I've been RVing since 1975 with no sewage related problems. (Knock on wood).These are my methods of dealing with this.
1. Buy septic safe TP.
2. Remember excessive TP in the black tank is your enemy. We put the used paper in the bathroom trash and dump it or burn it every few days.
3. When recharging the black tank add the chemical and 2 gallons of water.
4. Prior to dumping the tanks fill sinks with water, pull the plug and allow the P traps to flush out.
This is in addition to previous comments.

We use Angel Soft for TP with no issues. Easier since that is what we use in the house.

Yes, water is your friend for the black tank. Always leave the valves closed until ready to dump. Just remember to check the gray before showers etc since that is “normally” the low point and it will backup into the shower first.

If you have a black tank flush connection like we do I use it each time I dump for a while to clean the tank.

Many different products on the market for treatments and other things that have been mentioned already.

Latest resources

Back