Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

getitinwriting

RVF Newbee
Greetings. Wife and I want to dip into RVing now that our kids are grown. Rented a Unity Class B last year for a week and started figuring out what we want and don't want. Probably looking at buying a similar Class B or smaller Class C (30 ft or under) for now, then moving to a p/u and 5th wheel when my current sedan lease expires in a year. Been reading forums, trolling websites, dealerships, etc., and needless to say, it's all a bit daunting.
We want to buy used for the first one, since we know that (a) we'll still be discovering and learning what works for us, and (b) we know we'll be trading in a year. Thinking we'd rather go through a dealer and finance it than tie up that much cash. So we're figuring we should engage an indie inspector, and there are several here in Vegas area, as well as plenty of dealers.
We figure we'd like something that'll get used for 1-3 weeks at a stretch, maximum. We'd like a dedicated bed/bedroom niche (as opposed to a murphy or something you have to fold up every morning). The rig we rented was a diesel...loved that but not a deal breaker. Dry bathroom is a must. Loved the way the Unity handles grey/black water (single hose, permanently attached, minimal mess), also love the way it drives. Don't really have the budget for one, though....looking at spending around 60-80k. Any ideas or suggestions most welcome. Thanks!

Greetings. Wife and I want to dip into RVing now that our kids are grown. Rented a Unity Class B last year for a week and started figuring out what we want and don't want. Probably looking at buying a similar Class B or smaller Class C (30 ft or under) for now, then moving to a p/u and 5th wheel when my current sedan lease expires in a year. Been reading forums, trolling websites, dealerships, etc., and needless to say, it's all a bit daunting.
We want to buy used for the first one, since we know that (a) we'll still be discovering and learning what works for us, and (b) we know we'll be trading in a year. Thinking we'd rather go through a dealer and finance it than tie up that much cash. So we're figuring we should engage an indie inspector, and there are several here in Vegas area, as well as plenty of dealers.
We figure we'd like something that'll get used for 1-3 weeks at a stretch, maximum. We'd like a dedicated bed/bedroom niche (as opposed to a murphy or something you have to fold up every morning). The rig we rented was a diesel...loved that but not a deal breaker. Dry bathroom is a must. Loved the way the Unity handles grey/black water (single hose, permanently attached, minimal mess), also love the way it drives. Don't really have the budget for one, though....looking at spending around 60-80k. Any ideas or suggestions most welcome. Thanks!
My wife and I are new at this too. We recently bought a 2010 Damon Daybreak (Class A) with 40k miles. We were fortunate to get it below book value. But it’s 10 years old and we’re investing money in it to be sure it’s safe (tires, sway bars, etc.). We wanted an older model that was in good condition because this is our first, but probably not last, coach. I’m a believer in letting someone else take the hit on depreciation.

I don’t have any recommendations regarding type or size. I think that’s a personal choice depending on life style, length of trips, number of people, etc. We looked and dreamed for a long time but never seemed to find the right one. Then we found Clyde (named by my wife for Come Live Your Dreams Everyday) and we just knew it was right. Look, look, and look some more. You’ll know when the right one comes along.

Regarding inspectors, I think that’s a great idea in most cases. For us, we had a friend that has owned multiple motorhomes and is a very knowledgeable shade tree mechanic. He was my inspector. He had gone through the experience multiple times and knew what to look for. That let me go into this armed with knowledge of what would need to be fixed and replaced. And it doesn’t hurt to know that when you’re negotiating.

I can definitely say that the first time or two you hit the road isn’t the most fun. Our first trip was on a cold and rainy weekend. We decided to go despite the weather because there were so many things we needed to learn and do for the first time in this coach, and so many things to find places for. I started questioning our decision. But, nice weather, friendly people, and the spirit of adventure won.

Good luck with your decisions and plans. Maybe we’ll come across each other somewhere on the road.

Welcome @getitinwriting. Enjoy the amazing journey from buying to traveling. Great to have you join us.

Latest resources

Back