Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Not too pricey with EFI & Manual Transmission?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

HeyItsChris1987

RVF Regular
Hi, I'm not looking for one immediately but just need to learn about models & years of when they started making fuel injection RV's & Motor homes with manual transmissions? Since I'm most familiar with manual transmissions anyway.

I also plan on going full electric, is 10,000W of 12V to 120V right? of inverter doable on an RV or motor home for electrical overhead? I want it to be fully digital system in an old RV that doesn't cost that much, like less than $10,000. I'm not a rich man. I just need a place to live in the future with my brother at the camping grounds & rent a spot with our retrofitted RV.

We want to setup 2 powerful desktop computers with 1,000W PSUs each.

I was thinking WInnebago but they don't make them manual and fuel injection wasn't in the 80s on the 454s right?

Thanks

Manual transmission! Hummm! Not likely to find one!

EFI? Think that was,say 93'.

Inverter? 10,000? Yes that is doable.
Solar? At 1000w of energy per square meter, and the efficiency of modern solar panels, not an option!!!

Powerful computers? Well it is not uncommon to find tower power supplies over 500 watts, laptops under 100watts. Large displays??? What,are you a gamer?

Top this dream dashing post with the 15 year rule, and you can consider what is important to you!!!

Well if youre handy with a wrench, you could get a 1980s Winne Brave with a 454, convert it to throttle body injection and then swap the auto trans out with a manual, and you’d have that part done. Maybe even for $10,000 although that would require a lot of resourcefulness.

As to a 10kw inverter, that seems totally unnecessary. 3 - 4kw that would be more than adequate. If you want to maximize the inverter output go with 48v dc to 120v ac. But at this point you are way over your $10k budget.

Thanks. I think I like the 82+ 22RE fuel injected 4 cylinder Toyota Sunrader 21ft because of my experience with imports. I think we will switch to laptops to save space & power. Not to mention reduce the need for massive power inverters & space requirements. It would be nice to find a 82+ Toyota Sunrader 21ft with a 22RE & a 5 speed manual transmission. I'll basically rebuild it anyway, new wheel bearing assemblies & brake kit & clutch & camshaft. Among other things like Solar & Nice TVs etc. I'll deck it out over time.

Thanks again.

Thanks. I think I like the 82+ 22RE fuel injected 4 cylinder Toyota Sunrader 21ft because of my experience with imports. I think we will switch to laptops to save space & power. Not to mention reduce the need for massive power inverters & space requirements. It would be nice to find a 82+ Toyota Sunrader 21ft with a 22RE & a 5 speed manual transmission. I'll basically rebuild it anyway, new wheel bearing assemblies & brake kit & clutch & camshaft. Among other things like Solar & Nice TVs etc. I'll deck it out over time.

Thanks again.
Do your research.

As I recall from articles in Motorhome Magazine of that era, some of those old Toyota micro mini's had meager occupant and cargo carrying capacity (OCCC). Some were even overloaded from the factory. There was a recall that required Toyota to install a heavier weight capacity rear axle in some models.

I also recall that some were so under powered that they almost could not get out of their own way!

If you find one that interests you, take it to a scale and weigh it to be sure you won't be over weight after adding fuel, propane, water, food, clothes, cargo and passengers.

Thanks for letting me know. I watched some vids on Youtube of owners and they don't seem bad, and they mentioned the pros and cons. So I just don't want a carbureted automatic really. I want a fuel injected manual RV motorhome.

May you suggest the best website with the most vast amount of results for RVs and Motorhomes that you can search for fuel injection & manual transmission?

Thanks

PS - With the 22R-E engine & what W56 transmission? I planned on a full racing camshaft (most aggressive allowed, not for racing the RV obviously for the required added power for all that weight) with high performance valve springs & retainers & a high performance intake & exhaust while keeping the exhaust whisper quiet (I don't particularly like loud exhausts especially on a motorhome rv). Then have the engine dyno tuned & maybe even throw an e85 fuel map on the custom programmed ecu if possible & get rid of the MAF or AFM & use MAP like some new engines. Then have a very powerful clutch system that is meant for way more holding pressure than the engine is making to hold all that weight from the RV. Like a kevlar puck combo disc on a very strong heavy clutch pedal pressure plate which I much prefer. There's a lot more I wanna do to it, like install wide band o2 & install electric fans, with switches in the interior for keeping it cool & hot in the winter. I think the enigne with the camshaft & map & header & intake & tune could see 200whp, I hope lol

Thanks for letting me know. I watched some vids on Youtube of owners and they don't seem bad, and they mentioned the pros and cons. So I just don't want a carbureted automatic really. I want a fuel injected manual RV motorhome.

May you suggest the best website with the most vast amount of results for RVs and Motorhomes that you can search for fuel injection & manual transmission?

Thanks

PS - With the 22R-E engine & what W56 transmission? I planned on a full racing camshaft (most aggressive allowed, not for racing the RV obviously for the required added power for all that weight) with high performance valve springs & retainers & a high performance intake & exhaust while keeping the exhaust whisper quiet (I don't particularly like loud exhausts especially on a motorhome rv). Then have the engine dyno tuned & maybe even throw an e85 fuel map on the custom programmed ecu if possible & get rid of the MAF or AFM & use MAP like some new engines. Then have a very powerful clutch system that is meant for way more holding pressure than the engine is making to hold all that weight from the RV. Like a kevlar puck combo disc on a very strong heavy clutch pedal pressure plate which I much prefer. There's a lot more I wanna do to it, like install wide band o2 & install electric fans, with switches in the interior for keeping it cool & hot in the winter. I think the enigne with the camshaft & map & header & intake & tune could see 200whp, I hope lol
You must hate automatic transmissions.

Much less work putting a standard in, than making something less onto more!

With a preformance shift kit an automatic is much more reliable than the clutch ever was. And modern day electric shift transmissions are superior to earlier models.

Yeah, I dislike automatics because I can't change the gear oil as easily because there is a filter in the automatic transmission that has to be changed too. Plus I love adjusting the freeplay at the clutch master cylinder & making sure there are no leaks. Heck you can buy Amsoil synthetic brake fluid that won't boil & lasts way longer than standard brake fluid, is what I will use. It just easier to drain & simply fill a filterless manual transmission & the same with the rear differential. I usually like to use Supertech 75w90 but always wanted to go all out with Amsoil Severe Gear for the trans & diff in an RV would be in heaven with Amsoil Severe Gear oil. It's a little expensive but it's far superior to all other oils, not to mention Amsoil engine oil is as well & for an RV, the engine would be heavenly smooth.

I'd love a Winnebago, but want to swap it to manual & be 454 fuel injected engine with good gear in the rear end for 70mph max operation, maybe a little more if required but not likely am I right? I love to drive safe, safety first then team work from pineapple express lol

Yeah, I dislike automatics because I can't change the gear oil as easily because there is a filter in the automatic transmission that has to be changed too. Plus I love adjusting the freeplay at the clutch master cylinder & making sure there are no leaks. Heck you can buy Amsoil synthetic brake fluid that won't boil & lasts way longer than standard brake fluid, is what I will use. It just easier to drain & simply fill a filterless manual transmission & the same with the rear differential. I usually like to use Supertech 75w90 but always wanted to go all out with Amsoil Severe Gear for the trans & diff in an RV would be in heaven with Amsoil Severe Gear oil. It's a little expensive but it's far superior to all other oils, not to mention Amsoil engine oil is as well & for an RV, the engine would be heavenly smooth.

I'd love a Winnebago, but want to swap it to manual & be 454 fuel injected engine with good gear in the rear end for 70mph max operation, maybe a little more if required but not likely am I right? I love to drive safe, safety first then team work from pineapple express lol
If safety is first,you don't want My opinion of Toyota based MH 's!

That said, if I were to do anything custom to an RV, I would do it to a pull trailer. You want a bunch of torque so hotrod is not the answer. My choice is 6 or more speed transmission.

To do the same thing with a standard, maybe a two speed diff.

Plenty of members here love custom, but most go in different directions than your dream machine! I personally would rather spend my time on the box!

Okay, I understand. So a V8 motorhome is optimal? What do you think about buying an old 454 winnebago & converting it to a chevy crate motor like a 350ci 5.7L fuel injection engine with a strong 5 or 6 speed manual conversion as well? How much are cate motors brand new and the transmission? Thanks

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back