• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Not wearing gloves while dumping tanks?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Every now and then I'd surprise my wife at her office with lunch and after I'd help myself to a box of gloves and hand sanitizer. One day she asked why? They're for the motorhome I said. No she said, take this.... a 1 liter jug of chlorhexidne. Better than gloves, better than hand sanitizer. I never remembered to use the gloves most of the time anyway.

Most people think bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is a great disinfectant and it is. Many use it all the time around the wet bay and sewer system. The problem is that its potency degrades fairly rapidly when you dilute it in , say, a spray bottle so you never know if the solution is able to sanitize well. For that reason I would recommend using a quaternary ammonium compound ( referred to as a quat). These quats are extremely stable and will remain active months after dilution. You can dilute them down to as little as 1/2-1/4oz per gallon for use as a sanitizer so they are amazingly cheap to use. And many of them are food grade. And you can safely spray it on your hands! If you check the label on Clorox Wipes you will see that the active ingredients are quats not bleach. This is because quats are so stable and they will not “bleach” fabrics.

Here is an example of one used nation wide for food plant sanitation and one I highly recommend:

Amazon product ASIN B08YFHJ2C5

Most people think bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is a great disinfectant and it is. Many use it all the time around the wet bay and sewer system. The problem is that its potency degrades fairly rapidly when you dilute it in , say, a spray bottle so you never know if the solution is able to sanitize well. For that reason I would recommend using a quaternary ammonium compound ( referred to as a quat). These quats are extremely stable and will remain active months after dilution. You can dilute them down to as little as 1/2-1/4oz per gallon for use as a sanitizer so they are amazingly cheap to use. And many of them are food grade. And you can safely spray it on your hands! If you check the label on Clorox Wipes you will see that the active ingredients are quats not bleach. This is because quats are so stable and they will not “bleach” fabrics.

Here is an example of one used nation wide for food plant sanitation and one I highly recommend:

Amazon product ASIN B08YFHJ2C5
Thanks for the info. I fill my bottle with just enough bleach solution to last a week or so but it is a bit of a pain in the butt. I'm sold on your solution (pun intended)! Thanks

Darrell

I am one of those people that has a container of wipes in the wet bay, use multiple gloves, and still wash hands when I get back into coach. Just feel better that way.
Joe I am with you. Wipes in the bay and a box of gloves. You never know what the person behind you did with the dump site especially the blaster/rinse hoses. I guess it is do what you want. I do not agree with the no glove policy. What happens if you have a cut on your finger and pick up bacteria or contaminant from the site? I equate it to having surgery and telling the Drs./ staff not to bother with gloves or sterilization.

This sure has seemed to be a "hot" topic (sts).

I see splatter in that solution as well... just said
been using one for 12+ years, never had a splash back issue. much better and more hygienic solution to cleaning your backside than wiping, I mean do you use dry paper to clean your hands.

laughed my ass off at the toilet paper shortage back during covid. I haven't purchased TP in 10 years. Have a 24 pack that still has 20 rolls in it.

even put a heated (water and seat) bidet seat in my Travel Trailer.

Most people think bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is a great disinfectant and it is. Many use it all the time around the wet bay and sewer system. The problem is that its potency degrades fairly rapidly when you dilute it in , say, a spray bottle so you never know if the solution is able to sanitize well.

That is the reason that we tested our bleach solution a couple times per day when we had a food cart. We bought our test strips from Amazon. We also made up a bleach solution every other day. We also learned that keeping the solution in a reused "bleach" bottle would make it last longer.

As it is, I just keep a small bottle of bleach and make a 2000ppm solution (add 2 TSP bleach to 1-1/2 C potable water in a 12 OZ trigger sprayer that I got from Walmart in the shampoo section). This is a "one use" amount. Any leftover, I dump down the sink and rinse the bottle and sprayer before storing under the sink. No worrying about whether the bleach is good or not. And no leftover bleachy water means it's not destroying the plastic bottle and trigger spray workings. The amounts are written on the side of the bleach and trigger sprayer bottles. I use a measuring shot glass to measure out the liquid bleach.

This thread is disgusting. I’m not going to post in it.

Latest resources

Back