• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gshowell1

RVF Regular
Hey all,
So as the title says I recently purchased this camper back in November, and I got up to check the rain gutters for any cracks the other day and noticed this right where the rain gutter ends and the front cap of the camper begins. Should I be super concerned? I'm not sure if this was once sealed and cracked or if it okay? On that seal that runs down the front cap there is a hole and I'm not sure if water is supposed to be able to go into that or not.
CAMPER 1.JPG

CAMPER 2.JPG

they have it in clear and black as well
Okay I ordered some. Thank you. Do you think I should be super concerned about water being able to get into that front front cap seal next to the rain guard? The rest of the camper is very well sealed with dap. It was done a couple of months before I bought it.

I would be concerned.

water leaks lead to mold, and if you aren't in the camper that often all the more reason to be sure it is completely sealed.

I would be concerned.

water leaks lead to mold, and if you aren't in the camper that often all the more reason to be sure it is completely sealed.
Yeah I definitely don't like it. I just don't know where that seal even goes to. Definitely no signs of any leaks up front. I'll definitely be dap-ing this area again ASAP.

Hard to tell with the close up shot but is that just a rain gutter? If so then I would not be concerned, maybe just hit it with some silicone to fill the gap.

Hard to tell with the close up shot but is that just a rain gutter? If so then I would not be concerned, maybe just hit it with some silicone to fill the gap.

Yes that is just the rain gutter, but what has me concerned is to the left of it where that seal that runs down the curve of the front cap is an open hole for rain water to go down (mold concerns mainly)

RV's need attention and sealing at times. I'd just fill in the above and below areas and monitor and not worry. We're going to have leaks, chase with silicone, be fine, then leaks and repeat. Moving earthquake. Part of the process.

The issue with Lap Sealant is that it does not stretch. If that crack is the result of a minor flex point as the TT vibrates, you might consider Dap Extreme Stretch Sealant which is formulated to stretch very far (600% by their claim). It is available at Home Depot.

You could also consider black 2-part epoxy available on Amazon if you want the repair to be solid. Make sure that the area inside is very dry, or mold may grow. Once sealed, the moisture will have no exit and will remain inside the sheeting.

Good Luck!

PS. I just spent $1,800 to have my rubber roof peeled back and the wood sheeting and rafters replaced/repaired due to a 1/2" tear that was left unnoticed by the previous owner for a couple of years!

Latest resources

Back