Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Novice, rookie, wet behind the ears...trying so hard to keep up.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tproepper1

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3543
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
I6
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Novice, rookie, wet behind the ears...trying so hard to keep up. Can I plug my 50amp into a standard 110 outlet and get batteries charged?

some and some
what type of rv and what type of inverter/charger?

The simple answer is yes with a “dogbone” 15a to 50a adaptor the hard part is it is always more complicated. Go to the IRV2 forums (sign up) and search in the newmar section for your question.

I think the one note I would add as you still should really try to monitor your battery condition on a very regular basis ‘cause it only takes a few days for them to drain all the way down if not being charged. I have a 10 amp Smart NOCO genius charger from Amazon i connect to house bTteries when i cant get 50a and a 5a same for chassis batteries. Will keep them topped off and will not overcharge

some and some
what type of rv and what type of inverter/charger?

The simple answer is yes with a “dogbone” 15a to 50a adaptor the hard part is it is always more complicated. Go to the IRV2 forums (sign up) and search in the newmar section for your question.

I think the one note I would add as you still should really try to monitor your battery condition on a very regular basis ‘cause it only takes a few days for them to drain all the way down if not being charged. I have a 10 amp Smart NOCO genius charger from Amazon i connect to house bTteries when i cant get 50a and a 5a same for chassis batteries. Will keep them topped off and will not overcharge
2020 New Aire 3543, Xantrex Freedom inverter/charger. Ran up from Dallas to St Paul, parked for four days unplugged and had no juice on day 4.

The answer? Yes/no
If they make them a 20amp dog bone would be best.

Some rigs monitor what you are plugged into and adjust the draw of the converter, others don't.

Remember ohms law! Your converter amps × 13 = watts. Watts ÷ 115v = amps draw on the home circuit. Then make sure everything is shut down!

Agree with kevin. Shut as much down as you can. 20a 120v plug (NEMA 5-20) has a Turned blade. It will only fit in a 20a (5-20R) receptacle which not all domestic plugs are ( most are 15a - 5-15R)

The zantrex is only only on 1 leg so only certain loads will be powered. Refrigerator microwave and some receptacles in our MA)

One of the big dangers is that many 120 V 15 amp receptacles have a GFCI on them and they will trip more often with the coach so you just have to be careful about that

Honestly, once I switched over to having the NOCO chargers, it’s gone flawlessly. I plug them in whenever I don’t have 50 amp and they just do qtheir job. In full disclosure, I did replace my Xantrex 3012 with a complete 2 Victron multiplus throughout and 1840AH of lithium and solar and it’s night and day, but it’s a much bigger system.

Yes you can adapt down to a 20amp plug and yes it will (should) keep your batteries up but make sure you don’t have any other loads running. You should have load shedding but I don’t know about the capability and limitations of your coach systems and current xantrex inverter/chargers so my advice would be to manage it manually and shut off everything else.

The cord, (dog bone) I use is similar to this one.

I purchased my cord from Amp Up Cords. Call Vince at 216-218-1762, a few years back.

My coach is always plugged in at home. Remember as stated above most home outlets are 15 amp. Your extension cord may be only 15 amp also.

Novice, rookie, wet behind the ears...trying so hard to keep up. Can I plug my 50amp into a standard 110 outlet and get batteries charged?
Welcome to RVForums, great to have you with us. Let me offer my simple solution - yes, I have this adapter and you can use 15A if needed to keep batteries charged. I also keep a 50 to 30 adapter on board so I can plug in to 30A outlets if 50A is not available.

You simply need to make sure your inverter's charge settings are set accordingly. For example if plugged in to a 15A circuit you need to bring your charge rate down to 15A and if your EMS doesn't automatically change to reflect what you're plugged into you need to change that too so your coach doesn't try to pull more amps than what your source can provide. Minimize loads in your coach but your EMS should handle this once these two items are configured based on what you're plugged into.

adapter.png

Morning all, and thanks for all your comments and information. Very helpful! So I had both chassis' batteries charged with trickle charger (external) to 100%, plugged in the 50 amp plug, by way of converter overnight. This morning, she is dead as a doornail again. Not even enough chassis power to "click" even the generator, let alone turn over the engine.
These also look like original batteries, which would make them at least 4 years old, and I have no record of how they were maintained. Silverleaf also has no power, so there is no way to "see" what's happening with the power distribution.
I am now looking for two replacement batteries, at least then I will have a known starting point.

Wet behind the ears in St Paul!!

Latest resources

Back