Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
A while back, there was a thread regarding fuel use by the Oasis diesel burner. I had an opportunity over the past two weeks to do a test with our coach.

During a two-week period of having the Oasis diesel burner and both electric elements on 24/7 (and with 7 days of temperatures that never exceeded 15°F) we used approximately 5 gallons of diesel fuel. We kept the coach at a pretty constant 46-53°F degrees during that entire period, despite the cooling effect of 30+ mph winds during that period. I used three remote temperature sensors in the coach with a receiver unit in the house to monitor inside temps.

So, from my experience, diesel usage is fairly modest...if you are keeping the coach at +/- 50°F. Obviously, if you are living in the coach and want to keep it closer to 70°F, fuel use would be somewhat greater, but I'm not sure how much. If you are in a Newmar, their excellent insulation might keep the diesel use pretty much the same once the coach reaches your desired temperature.

YMMV

TJ

Last edited:
A while back, there was a thread regarding fuel use by the Oasis diesel burner. I had an opportunity over the past two weeks to do a test with our coach.

During a two-week period of having the Oasis diesel burner and both electric elements on 24/7 (and with 7 days of temperatures that never exceeded 15°F) we used approximately 5 gallons of diesel fuel. We kept the coach at a pretty constant 46-53°F degrees during that entire period, despite the cooling effect of 30+ mph winds during that period. I use three remote temperature sensors in the coach with a receiver unit in the house to monitor inside temps.

So, from my experience, diesel usage is fairly modest...if you are keeping the coach at +/- 50°F. Obviously, if you are living in the coach and want to keep it closer to 70°F, fuel use would be somewhat greater, but I'm not sure how much. If you are in a Newmar, their excellent insulation might keep the diesel use pretty much the same once the coach reaches your desired temperature.

YMMV

TJ
Tj,
So, 336 hours of run time, 5 gallons of fuel works out to about .015 gal/hr. It sure looks to me like you could get away with using electric only. Thanks for the info, really appreciated. Sure glad we live in the SF Bay Area where I have never had to turn on the Oasis while the coach is stored in my back yard.

I probably could have just used the electric elements, but I wasn't sure...and, didn't want to find out the hard way in those temperatures. I did observe that there was at least as much off time with the diesel burner as there was on time.

TJ

TJ,

Would be interesting to calculate the rate using the hour meter on the Hydronic Heating module. It's on top of the box on the left side. I have to take a photo of it with my phone in order to read it.

My unit has a sticker up there that says Max Fuel Rate of 0.44 g/hr...would be nice to know how close actual rate is to Max rate.

If I ever find a Blueooth enabled in-line fuel counter for diesel...that is reasonably priced...I would love to add them to my Generator and Oasis... But it seems like it's less important than other projects right now.

We're waiting for a replacement combustion fan now...my Hydronic heater is electric only for the time being. Just replaced the dual run capacitor on the rear A/C...this thing is keeping me busy...oh and purchased a new Blue Ox coiled 7 to 6 cord...and it is wired to standard...my last one wasn't so...I have to rewire the Jeeps receptacle to get the thing sorted again.

I just don't have time to go to work...I need to be tinkering on the RV :)

I know the feeling, @Chuggs. After being retired for a while, I'm amazed that I ever found any time to go to work. :ROFLMAO:

I'll need to check for that hour-meter. I was vaguely aware of its existence, but never took the time to find it. I like the digital photo trick; been using it ever sine digital cameras came out. When they put them in phones, it became even easier to do. Now, pretty much every mechanical or electrical job I do starts with digital photos.

TJ

oh and purchased a new Blue Ox coiled 7 to 6 cord...and it is wired to standard...my last one wasn't so...I have to rewire the Jeeps receptacle to get the thing sorted again.

Off topic but I also recently bought a new blue ox cable which is sealed as I posted in another thread here as my previous was no longer working. How did you know something was wired differently? Is there something I should be checking? All lights appear to work as expected, the only thing I'm concerned about is the charging the battery while towing which was supposed to be wired up.

On my arctic AZ trip I did measure start/stop counters on the burner and I think I determined diesel consumption. Was a lot of diesel for crazy cold ops.

Use a voltmeter on Ohm/Continuity...and map the pins. The old one had the 12v+ and Trailer Brake pins in the wrong positions. I now need to get under the Jeep and swap two wires in the receptacle.

I didn't reference any "wiring standards" when I wired the Jeep with the last Blue Ox cable...just checked which pin was getting the signal from the 7-pin side.

Frustrating that they did it that way...

Latest resources

Back