Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Oil analysis on RV diesel engines?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I don't typically hear discussion on oil analysis of a RV much less automotive engine yet it's something done in the aircraft industry to check for wear and tear and identify problems early. Has anyone done or considered oil analysis on an engine such as a Cummins diesel? Or any other fluids?

I did a quick google on this and found the link below.

I have used oil analysis with JG Labs, especially years in which I didn’t put that many miles on the MH.

Prior to this RV life, our fun was boating. We owned large diesel boats and oil analysis is vital to determine engine health. Ever see a mechanic check out an engine ? He smells the oil ?
If you read an oil analysis report you'll discover it covers a wide range of condition(s). I would definitely use that service if I had a diesel engine in an RV.

When I drove many miles a year I used BlackStone. It is a nice to have and interesting information.

Having the engine in the rear might make this much more useful as you can not hear the engine running and any potential issues developing. Also, Cummings do have a few peculiarities that warrant keeping an eye on. This might be a worthwhile exercise at oil change.

I may ask Gaffney if they can do it (send it off) this year with one year remaining on the warranty.

I do oil and coolant every year. I almost always have to add something to the coolant. I have never had an oil test comeback bad. I change my oil annually just because I'm anal like that. But I look for wear in the oil test. I have done this on my last 4 coaches.

The coolant test is something most people miss and is very important. On my automobiles I change coolant and brake fluid every 24 months religiously. On the RV I test the fluids, brake fluid and coolant, due to the volume of the fluid change.

Oil sampling is a good practice. It will tell you a ton of good information about your oil, filters, and engine. It would be a good idea to do before buying a used coach as well.

I have used oil analysis with JG Labs, especially years in which I didn’t put that many miles on the MH.
I've had JG do analysis of both my oil and transmission fluid. It's the best way to know that your Transynd fluid is still good.

Latest resources

Back