• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Oil change interval confusion

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think 10k is a good number. I live in a very dry climate, if I lived in Michigan and started it up alot in the winter I might consider 7500
In the automotive dealership industry, even with manufacturers intervals of 7500 miles most dealers would say every 3000 miles is “cheap insurance”. Why? To get you in more often so that they had n opportunity to upsell you services and see new model cars you might like to upgrade too. This practice was bad for the environment and led to the service maintenance computer we all have now, where the intervals are calculated taking operating loads in to account.

Oil tests are interesting to me because if you get your oil tested and it’s less than 100% you now have somewhat of an obligation to stop driving and get it in for warranty service, failing to act expeditiously may lead to a why did you keep driving it with an issue. Also for all of you that have tested a late model engine have you had any bad findings? I’m curious

Last edited:
Both FL and Spartan recommended mileage/calender. FL I believe was 12,000/12 months while Spartan is 15000/12 months and have been following Spartan recommendation.

Hello,

BGMAC - that is true about the oil in the F110 blower in your F-16. The P&W TF33 in my B-52 also doesn't get oil changes. But both of these engines are protected by the periodic taking of "SOAP" samples - the USAF Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program. If an oddball wear metal pops high, that engine comes off the wing and is soon on a truck headed to Tinker AFB, OK.

I have used Blackstone for oil analysis and I like their reports. They analyze for wear metals, moisture content, coolant contamination, fuel contamination and Total Base Number - how much of the detergents and cleansers, etc. remain in the additive package. They then tell you how these numbers stack up against similar engines of a similar mileage. I use full synthetic Shell Rotella T6 diesel engine oil in most of my engines (gasoline, too) because of its high amounts of "ZDDP" - zinc dialkydithiophosphate.

Do I do the analysis at every oil change? No. But they provide an excellent report when I do.

Rick

The skinny on Zinc

That is utterly ridiculous. Have you EVER seen anything in your owners manual where it says "beware of how much zinc is in your oil"? No.
Just use whatever oil is specified in the owners manual and there is nothing to worry about.
That clown is answering a question that was never asked. Looking for a solution for a non-existent problem

That is utterly ridiculous. Have you EVER seen anything in your owners manual where it says "beware of how much zinc is in your oil"? No.
Just use whatever oil is specified in the owners manual and there is nothing to worry about.
That clown is answering a question that was never asked. Looking for a solution for a non-existent problem
Thanks Dog, now I have to watch the video…..

Not going to watch again! As I recall the jest of the video is don't use additives, because they change that delicate balance!!!

I have an ISX12 in on a Spartan K3 chassis. Cummins documentation says that if the ISX12 is installed in a MH, that the oil needs to be changed every 6 MONTHS. I confirm this with Cummins via email. I did that once and now change it yearly based on 10K miles/year.

As far as the setup to change your own oil, it’s not that bad. When I still had a S&B, I change my own oil. I had the oil plug replaced (during oil change at Speedco) with a valve and when changing the oil, I would air up the coach to maximum height. I believe I could get a 5 gallon bucket under the coach, but I opted for a 3 gallon bucket. I would open the valve, fill the bucket, and then close the valve. I would then pour the 3 gallon bucket of oil into 5 gallons buckets. I would put the lid on the buckets and then take them to the landfill which had oil recycling tanks. It was 5 miles away.

Yes it’s more work to change it yourself, but I prefer doing things myself. I know it is done right, oil filter changed, etc.

Also being under the coach it gives me the opportunity to check things out for any issues that may exist.