Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
This is nothing new and applies to all motor vehicles. I needed a smog check every other year for my 10000 lb GVWR pickup. I will need it for my 2021 Navion with its diesel engine. Diesels pollute heavily and they generate small particles that are very damaging to people's health. Asthma costs the country more than $20 billion a year and the rise in asthma parallels the rise in diesel vehicles. Far more people are dying from Covid-19 as a result of living in areas with a great deal of air pollution in this country and in other countries that have dirty air.

Why is clean air considered radical and worthy of derision. I guess people would be better off in a state of rules breakers like Texas where one is free to freeze to death and free to die from cancer.

This is certainly something new and worth monitoring. We’re all for clean air here. But new regulations intended for commercial diesel vehicles should not necessarily include RV’s as they are not at all the same use case. Another problem is the discriminatory effect on out of state travelers, how can they be expected to comply with a requirement unique from their home state? It’s like asking out of state drivers to get a new drivers lic just for visiting. As it’s currently suggested - it could be unfair to many RV owners and we may need to make sure it isn’t implemented in that form.

Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail! Otherwise, the California RV tourism industry will be severely impacted. If a non-resident has to pay for an annual inspection in California, I doubt if many will be willing to do so; they’ll just bypass California.

TJ

Another reason for me not to make that long drive west.

Latest resources

Back