Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gfmucci

RVF Regular
I'm retired, been reading and viewing everything I can about RVs for two years. Last year I rented a 2008 32' class C for 2 weeks. It cost over $3,500 for trip from Florida to Vermont and back. Next month I'm renting a 2022 26' class A for a week. Another near $3,000.

So, onward with my thinking...

I'm considering purchase of a 3 to 5 year old small Class A. I would finance 50 to 70% of the cost (depending on terms) and plan (hope) to rent it out for a week a month to cover loan and maintenance. I have a storage location 5 minutes from home, around $200 per month.

I would love to hear from RV owners with Outdoorsy experience what their expense and revue experience has been as well as their overall experience with Outdoorsy and their business model. I understand that a few hours before and after each rental is required as well as great customer service during rental as is required to be successful in any business.

I have the time, unlike those who have a fulltime job who rent out their RV on the side.

My first experience last year wasn't good. The rental was owned by a full time cop who I never saw. I picked it up from his wife who knew nothing, and a workmate who came over to try to figure out the rusted leveling jacks that didn't work and to clean out the bug-infested rear of the propane fridge. Upon return, no one was there to review the trip.

That was not a 5 star experience.

From what I've read in other forums, You will probably regret ever doing it! Better have some great insurance (as in ultra expensive), and a stand by mechanic to service it after they tear up or break stuff!!
It will be your RV, but I can tell you that no one else will ever sleep in my bed, but me!!!
SCARY, just thinking about it!
I think I would look elsewhere, as a way to spend or invest my money!:unsure:
Good Luck!

Had a neighbor that had two gas class a’s they rented out.

Just about every time they came back they had to go in the shop to get things fixed.

One renter got stuck in a muddy field, when done the board they tried trashed a storage compartment and other things.

Personally, I would never do it.

Had a neighbor that had two gas class a’s they rented out.

Just about every time they came back they had to go in the shop to get things fixed.

One renter got stuck in a muddy field, when done the board they tried trashed a storage compartment and other things.

Personally, I would never do it.
Doesn't sound much different from experience of owners who DON'T rent out their RV from what I read in these forums.
So far commenters do not have direct Outdoorsy experience. Only horror stories from others. Similar to those I read about from non-renting owners every day.

Who here is familiar with Outdoorsy insurance and have experience working with them with their rental?

Doesn't sound much different from experience of owners who DON'T rent out their RV from what I read in these forums.
So far commenters do not have direct Outdoorsy experience. Only horror stories from others. Similar to those I read about from non-renting owners every day.

Who here is familiar with Outdoorsy insurance and have experience working with them with their rental?
I would guess you got others opinion on the matter.
No response usually means they don't have the experience your after.

Don't expect great experiences with any renters. That is across the board!!!

Latest resources

Back