Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RichardK

RVF Newbee
We really like the floorplans on the '24 FR Wildwood X-Lite 24 View,(29'11", 6158 dry wt. )
and the '24 FR Wildwood 22ERS,(28'2", 6196 dry wt.)
We have a Dodge Ram1500 4door with Hemi and air suspension, and the taller of the 2 rear ratios.
Opinions, suggestions, or tips?
Thank you in advance!

Check on the tow rating of your truck with your diff. gears. Actual towing weight will be much higher than dry weight.

We really like the floorplans on the '24 FR Wildwood X-Lite 24 View,(29'11", 6158 dry wt. )
and the '24 FR Wildwood 22ERS,(28'2", 6196 dry wt.)
We have a Dodge Ram1500 4door with Hemi and air suspension, and the taller of the 2 rear ratios.
Opinions, suggestions, or tips?
Thank you in advance!
The problem I found with lightweight FR trailers is that in order to keep the weight down they use minimal everything including structural and interior materials so they are basically somewhat fragile. I assume the frame and axles are standard items so if you use the “house” gently you’ll probably be ok.

My daughter had one (2018 29’) and even just using it a few times per year it fell apart in less than three years with interior panels and furniture failing and a considerable amount pf rot at the door (not all that uncommon apparently). But she has five kids and they used it pretty hard. If it were used conservatively and properly cared for it probably would have been ok other than the floor rot issue.

As for the truck specs, give yourself a generous cushion for gear, tank contents, supplies etc. A 6,000lb trailer could be closer to 8,000 in practice. Also include anything in the bed of the truck (generator, bikes, etc) in your GCVW calcs.

That's more trailer than I'd want to tow with a 1500. I'd be looking more in the 5000 lb dry weight range.

My parents in law have a 2015 FR Rockwood Mini Lite that they bought new and are quite happy with it.

Check on the tow rating of your truck with your diff. gears. Actual towing weight will be much higher than dry weight.
As I recall RAM'S website has information on your vehicle's build data. All you need is your vin

FWIW I had a Clipper that I used year round. The frame rusted really badly (which I take responsibility for) but when I lost a leaf spring holder, the welder that fixed it commented that the frame was very, very thin. That said, except for that, I never had any problems in the 8 years I had it.

Check out the Tracer line.

We are towing a 2016 Forest River 253RLXL Wildwood X-Lite with a 2011 Chev Silverado 1500 LTZ with the factory tow package. Works well for us although more truck would be nice. We are careful about loads and weights both in the trailer and the truck. Often we are at gross cargo weight for the truck but, according to CAT scales, we are at 80% tow capacity. Better to have too much truck than too much trailer.

As to Forest River quality, they are light-duty trailers, built to be lightweight towable units. It takes care and regular maintenance to keep things working correctly and the trailer looking good. I do all of my own maintenance. Just the wife and I so it is used and cared for by adults. We purchased it used and have had to replace and repair a few things largely due to abuse and neglect. About what was expected. Tires and batteries are consumables in about 5 years or less. The toilet was a poor design, leaked, and cracked so we replaced it with a much better quality unit. Other than cleaning and polishing, it is a dream to tow and to use.

Bob

Attachments

• Forest River.jpg
    Forest River.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

Latest resources

Back