• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Retired

RVF VIP
Fulltimer
No
Our first two days of ownership was cleaning, we have two more days of cleaning and we will feel like its clean enough to use, but not as clean as we want it.

Today I started looking at safety and function.

The mufflers need replacing. it looks like the cats are new. The PO purchased the MH from Camping World, Im betting they replaced both cats. After researching the alternatives, I think Im going to use Dynomax 17769 and have a shop install them.

All six tires are date coded 0420 or 0520. The right rears have a problem. The outer tire will not accept air. I hope it isnt full of fix-a-flat. The extension on the inner tire is missing, so I cant get a gauge or my air chuck on it. Im dropping it off in the morning to have it looked at.

I specifically asked the PO about tire age and tire pressure and if there were any issues. He told me all six were replaced when he purchased the MH and they were good to go. The sidewall says max cold inflation of 110 psi, the four tires I could get a gauge on were between 76 and 83 psi. Looks like in the 10 months he owned the coach he never checked the tires. Is that why the coach wandered all over the road on the trip home?

Those are the first two issues Im addressing. there are more, but overall on a 14 year old coach its pretty solid. It rained hard here for two days. Not a drop inside the coach.

Congrats @Retired on your new ride. Best thing you mentioned is no signs of water leaks. Yes not inflating tires to proper tire pressure for loaded weight will definitely effect the handling.

$105 to get the tires straightened out. $60 for two new valve stem extensions and $45 labor to remove one tire, install both extensions and all up all six tires.

Now the step quit extending.

Fix one problem, another problem takes its place.

$105 to get the tires straightened out. $60 for two new valve stem extensions and $45 labor to remove one tire, install both extensions and all up all six tires.

Now the step quit extending.

Fix one problem, another problem takes its place.
Yep, the only thing that always works on a motor home, is the owner. . . :)

What size tires? Initially I would air them up to 95. Then I would start loading the coach with all the stuff you're going to carry. Once you think you have everything loaded including full water and full fuel, I would find a landscape supplier that sells rock by the pound and has a drive on scale. They usually let you weigh the coach, all 4 corners, front axle, rear axle, total weight. This also tells you if you are over weight for the front axle or if one side is really heavy because you carry a Green Egg in one bay ;-) Do that and then you can figure out what air pressure to put in front and rears.

Latest resources

Back