RV Make
Winnebago Itasca
RV Model
Sunova
RV Length
35 foot
TOW/TOAD
2015 Willy's Jeep
Has anyone used an ozone generator (Shipp TZ-2 total zone) in your motor home or camper? If so, how long did you leave it in there and what kind of results did you get?

As someone who has used ozone generating machines for many years, just realize that you are oxidizing everything. So many things will not last as long with elevated levels and there are health issues to be aware of too.
Yes, it can help deal with making an unhappy living condition for many smells, carbon/organic based materials and things like mildew and mold. But it also impacts things like rubber seals, which will age out faster.
As a spot/short term treatment, I will use one. But not long term.

As a provider of residential rental housing, I use one religiously, and mine has worked wonders. But as MBTM mentioned, you need to understand the other side of using them. In my case, I've gotten mildew, cat pi$$ and many other nasties under control. Don't know that I'd want to run one for any length of time in my MH though.

If you're trying to get rid of the humidity smell, I'd advise getting a good dehumidifier. They are worth their weight in gold. :)

I'm renting one and have a plan to run it for in the MH for maybe two hours. A one time shot.
What do you think ?

I'm renting one and have a plan to run it for in the MH for maybe two hours. A one time shot.
What do you think ?
First let me ask what are you trying to achieve?

It's just not a fresh smelling unit .Can't really pinpoint what it is .

It's just not a fresh smelling unit .Can't really pinpoint what it is .
Got it! Well the ozone might help with that. I used it in a truck that I was cleaning up after a mouse have made a home in the glove box. Worked well.

Keep in mind that you don't want to be inside with it running! And give the coach some time to air out after you use it. When I ozoned the truck, I left the air conditioning running so it would clean out the ductwork as well.

There will be an ozone smell right after you use it, but that smell dissipates in a day or so.

2nd what Jim said.
Add - When you re-enter the MH to turn off the ozone, don’t linger in there. Get in, turn it off, open windows to let the excess ozone out, then GET OUT yourself. Heavy/excess ozone isn’t good for your lungs.

2nd what Jim said.
Add - When you re-enter the MH to turn off the ozone, don’t linger in there. Get in, turn it off, open windows to let the excess ozone out, then GET OUT yourself. Heavy/excess ozone isn’t good for your lungs.
So yes, stay out of the rig after use. Use of the ac is a very good idea. Open cabinets and fridge. House closed up completely!!!

Now for what I disagree about on above advice!!! Yes I must be a dissenter 😉.

Ozone has a half life of 1/2 hour. If you don't understand the term look it up! It is the half life that makes generation of Ozone necessary. Cut the power to the rig and let it dissipate on its own, you don't need to air anything!!! Nor should you!!!
Direct Ozone will harm lungs!!! That is important to know, but bagging Ozone around diabetic ulcers is a beneficial treatment. There are many beneficial uses for Ozone, so it's worth doing a little studying on the subject.

I regularly bubble my water supply with Ozone. Typically I do this just before I fill the fresh water tank with said water. (Think sanitize fresh water system)! I also bubble water and wash my vegetables before bringing them into the rig!

We have an Ozone generator in the Cabana area that we run on occasion, musty/mildew smell removal. But as others have noted, be sure to air out prior to use by any living thing you don't what to eliminate.

Funny story, forgive me, while shopping for vehicles at dealerships. A Mazda used car dealership in Coral Creek, Florida insisted on adding a $899 fee for VIP Ozone treatment of any used car they sold. The exchange with the Finance Manager was hilarious...

Needless to say, we moved on at a brisk pace:)

Latest resources

Back