Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jjrbus

RVF Regular
Painting! 02C200P I am not looking forward to doing this but I need a paint job and have some issues to be addressed. The main one is the fiberglass is loaded with bubbles that are only present in direct sun, hundreds of them from pin head size up to about thumbnail.
Internet research shows this is called osmotic blistering and is caused by moisture or uncured resin in the fiberglass. Each and every bubble needs to be popped cleaned and allowed to dry, Then fill each one with fiberglass resin before painting. I would like to at least open the blisters, clean and dry myself. First I do not want to pay shop rates for dumb work and being it is mine I am sure I will be much more conscientous about getting each and every bubble. This of course eliminates the use of wash and spray places such as Maaco or any of the other large chains. Guess Earl Schibe is not around anymore.
Then there is a myriad of other things to consider, I asked a bit and no one can recommend a shop. Paint, so many choices today. I am not a fan of base coat clear coat so that will narrow it down a bit. So the hunt is on for a shop, I googled shops in the area and will take a drive to the closest ones and call the others. Some may not be able to handle the larger vehicle. I am not in a big rush on this, would like to have it done by summer.
Any input appreciated.

I doubt you are looking at blisters! What you are alluding to are often seen below waterline on fiberglass boats, and caused by impurities in the fiberglass, and water pressure. A product of osmosis, and that requires water pressure.

It is more likely caused by poor manufacturing practice.

What's an 02c200p?
What year is it?
If you can take a picture of the worst spot and post it maybe I will see something different as the cause.
I will do the best I can.

Fiberglass and SMC can have a lot of different issues but rethink your painting unless you know what you're doing, as there is a reason paint jobs on these things run 40,000 to 100,000.

Osmotic blistering seems to be pretty clear what the problem is. What are you painting for $40,000 to $100,000?

Osmotic blistering seems to be pretty clear what the problem is. What are you painting for $40,000 to $100,000?
Glad you figured it out.
I don't paint nothing for anyone.

Latest resources

Back