• Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Pepwave 8.5.0 firmware released

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have tested with and without the obstruction checkbox on 8.5 and didn’t notice any difference that was significant. It always comes down to place, obstructions if any, positioning facing direction and time of day. Speeds vary from 50-70 down to 200+ down depending on the factors above but it is consistently reliable meaning the uptime is 99.9 and latency is 28 ms. I find that there are a lot of inconsistencies between speed test platforms. I just ran it from the starlink app and I get 54 mps down and I get 157 down on ookla. So you can’t read into to the speed tests too much other than directional. I think Starlink is the right choice as many will agree and its popularity will continue but your buddy Elon needs to keep sending up more satellites so the demand doesn’t start to impact performance. Have you gotten yours yet?

Yes, speed tests vary widely, I am past that :) Yes, I think SL is valuable but it is expensive for many and compared to my cellular options it's significant and for me typically not needed so it's a backup option for me still. I'm fortunate to the have the Mobley still going for unlimited AT&T at $23/mo, and the Verizon pre-paid unlimited at $65/mo and I hold on to the 100 GB AT&T for 5G play only, I think that's $55/mo. I think cell plans will have to rethink the competition as SL adoption grows. It still has the problem of obstructions just like with our SAT TV days but with a long cord that can often be overcome unlike a fixed dish on the roof, oh wait, never mind :)

Yes, I got mine, haven't touched it yet and won't until the first billing hits 30 days after shipping, then I'll activate/test it and suspend it as my travels are and will remain minimal for the unforeseen future. But I wanted to nab it while on sale as my Gen2 is damaged, but works. I'd love to pick up a mini someday if that goes on sale for the plane, but we'll see, and I have yet to airplane camp so that's TBD too.

I'll likely store my Gen3 in the shell it came in, but have discarded the box. I did get the carry bag just in case I want to use that, for later when I hit the road again I'll figure that out.

Totally agree on keeping a cellular option. I am keeping t mobile as my backup just in case but I let AT&T go as I didn’t feel I needed two of them. Hopefully not a mistake. I only have the paddle antennas for the pepwave so that’s a limiting factor. In a perfect world, I’d have a cellular antenna up top as well. We will see as we spend more time on the road what the best option is.

Latest resources

Back