Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Picking a TOAD - Jeep, Pickup, etc.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say my dream Rubicon that I optioned cluelessly (literally, I don't know the Jeep lingo) MSRP's out at 61K. What would I expect to pay at a local dealer? Do dealers even discount when ordering a custom build? I know BMW near me doesn't as they claim "haggle free pricing", so I bought a Porsche from their neighbor dealer which they loved hearing about when they called me a few weeks later. Any tips on ordering vs. finding something on the lot and discount to be expected (rebates, incentives, etc. etc.). Sure sounds like the old how much discount on a MH purchase :)

My typical rule of thumb when shopping for cars in the past was to get 15% below window sticker.
Mine was an MSRP of $57,500 and I paid $52,700

Let's say my dream Rubicon that I optioned cluelessly (literally, I don't know the Jeep lingo) MSRP's out at 61K. What would I expect to pay at a local dealer? Do dealers even discount when ordering a custom build? I know BMW near me doesn't as they claim "haggle free pricing", so I bought a Porsche from their neighbor dealer which they loved hearing about when they called me a few weeks later. Any tips on ordering vs. finding something on the lot and discount to be expected (rebates, incentives, etc. etc.). Sure sounds like the old how much discount on a MH purchase :)

My typical rule of thumb when shopping for cars in the past was to get 15% below window sticker.

Find a dealer with the that moves the most "iron". For instance San Diego Jeep currently has 174, 2020 Wranglers in stock. No need to special order with that kind of selection.

Mine had MSRP of 58,485 and I paid 51,348 plus free labor for installing only all the towing related hardware and I pay for the hardware. These guys put the hardware on my 2017 and did a great job and I trust them. I could have done better by going to Dillions in Idaho but there travel time, etc that used up most of the savings. Plus I have a relationship with a local dealer

Find a dealer with the that moves the most "iron". For instance San Diego Jeep currently has 174, 2020 Wranglers in stock. No need to special order with that kind of selection.
I agree, you will most likely get your best price this way, dealers pay flooring $ each month on grounded inventory, they pay nothing on special ordered units.

Yes they do. I was able to get 6% off of invoice.

This is hard to do, but there is a whole thread discussion on this with exact dealers to order from, etc.

I have ordered from the factory before - a 2007 Ford Mustang GT - and went to multiple dealers and none of them would give me an inch when it came to price other than the standard rebates.

Picking up off the lot though, I have usually been able to knock off between $1500 and $2k after rebates. Not much more though.

If you don’t like haggling though, check out Tom Mcparland at Automatch Consulting. He has a contributor to Jalopnik.com about car buying strategies and for a nominal fee can do all of that for you. I think I might use his services for my next purchase in a few years.

As far as naming - here is a quick summary;

We are talking "Wrangler" in this discussion, which is the model of the Jeep.

There are 3 basic trims

SPORT
SAHARA
RUBICON

All models of the wrangler are trail rated, and feature 4-LO.
All can be upgraded to be EXTREMLY OFF ROAD capable, including Rock Crawling.

Most people start with Sport, and then add what they want. Same thing can be said of Sahara - add more offroad ability once you determine what you want.

There are models in between, but they are just packages with mopar parts preselected, and generally stuff that makes the jeep look different. Do not get side tracked by things like "Willys" "Altitudte" "Moab" "Recon" etc...those are just special edition packages.

The Sport is the basic trim. You cannot add some items to the sport.

The Sahara is the "Mall Crawler" edition - full luxury, perfect options for everything, and very suitable for those whose idea of offroading is staying on a trail that might be bumpy. It can do 90% of what a stock Rubicon can, just not as comfortably in it's stock form. Specifically, the gear ratio is a 3.21 vs 4.10. This limits the overall height of tire you can do prior to needing to upgrade.

The front axle on the sahara is a DANA 30 --- good solid axle, but not suitable for rock crawling.

Sahara comes with stock 18" wheels -- they look very nice. I actually put these on my daughters JLUS (Sport)

The Sahara is also the only one with the ability to have selectTrack AWD transmission - again, very nice for those that live in snow country and use as a daily driver.

The Rubicon has 2 main options that make it a more trail capable and comfortable

* Electronic Front Sway bar disconnect
* Front + Rear Lockers

The sway bar disconnect can be done on ANY jeep, but requires getting out, and removing a bolt or a pin if you install a quick disconnect. On the Rubicon, you press a button. This makes rough road driving VERY comfortable, and with an easy mod, you can do this up to any speed in 2WD. You would not want this disconnected for smooth roads or highway use, but for trails, it is a very nice feature.

Front + rear lockers are huge. This feature alone is why I chose Rubicon. Getting out of a situation where a single wheel slips is imperative. Only possible with a locker. Adding lockers after the fact is a huge undertaking and expense. MUCH cheaper to start out right.

If for no other reason, choose Rubicon for the lockers.

You can easily add *every* option of the Sahara except 18" wheels and SelctTrac transmission.

Excellent info, thank you @redbaron. What is the JL vs. JK, etc.?

JL = 2018.5+
JK = 2007-2018

2018 was an odd year, as both JK and JL where available to be purchased and ordered.

Easiest way to tell the difference between the JK and JL is the front fenders.

1-Front.jpg

On the left is a "JK". Notice the fender does not have the marker and turn signals. They are actually in the grill.

The JL on the right has the fender with the lights, and not in the grill.

JK sometimes add optional fenders to add the maker lights there, and even go so far as to change the grill. Then you have to look at the door handles.

here is another visual comparison difference illustration:
visual-comparison-je-3_1600x0w.jpg

As far as naming - here is a quick summary;

We are talking "Wrangler" in this discussion, which is the model of the Jeep.

There are 3 basic trims

SPORT
SAHARA
RUBICON

All models of the wrangler are trail rated, and feature 4-LO.
All can be upgraded to be EXTREMLY OFF ROAD capable, including Rock Crawling.

Most people start with Sport, and then add what they want. Same thing can be said of Sahara - add more offroad ability once you determine what you want.

There are models in between, but they are just packages with mopar parts preselected, and generally stuff that makes the jeep look different. Do not get side tracked by things like "Willys" "Altitudte" "Moab" "Recon" etc...those are just special edition packages.

The Sport is the basic trim. You cannot add some items to the sport.

The Sahara is the "Mall Crawler" edition - full luxury, perfect options for everything, and very suitable for those whose idea of offroading is staying on a trail that might be bumpy. It can do 90% of what a stock Rubicon can, just not as comfortably in it's stock form. Specifically, the gear ratio is a 3.21 vs 4.10. This limits the overall height of tire you can do prior to needing to upgrade.

The front axle on the sahara is a DANA 30 --- good solid axle, but not suitable for rock crawling.

Sahara comes with stock 18" wheels -- they look very nice. I actually put these on my daughters JLUS (Sport)

The Sahara is also the only one with the ability to have selectTrack AWD transmission - again, very nice for those that live in snow country and use as a daily driver.

The Rubicon has 2 main options that make it a more trail capable and comfortable

* Electronic Front Sway bar disconnect
* Front + Rear Lockers

The sway bar disconnect can be done on ANY jeep, but requires getting out, and removing a bolt or a pin if you install a quick disconnect. On the Rubicon, you press a button. This makes rough road driving VERY comfortable, and with an easy mod, you can do this up to any speed in 2WD. You would not want this disconnected for smooth roads or highway use, but for trails, it is a very nice feature.

Front + rear lockers are huge. This feature alone is why I chose Rubicon. Getting out of a situation where a single wheel slips is imperative. Only possible with a locker. Adding lockers after the fact is a huge undertaking and expense. MUCH cheaper to start out right.

If for no other reason, choose Rubicon for the lockers.

You can easily add *every* option of the Sahara except 18" wheels and SelctTrac transmission.
On the Rubicon, the transfer case ratio is is approximately 32% lower in 4 Low and the fender flairs are a different shape to allow for off-road tire clearance
The front and rear differential are Dana 40’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back