• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Planning Glacier and Montana for 2020

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I went ahead and booked Aug 15-31 at West Glacier KOA as it does look amazing and I want to see it. Looks like they are starting to run short on sites in that time frame so I pulled the trigger. I booked Polson (194) for two weeks after so I can nag @TJ&LadyDi :) I think I'm also going to make this a 3 prong attack and hit Colorado prior to Glacier NP as I really want to explore the Boulder/Denver area for possible future roots. I needed to explore AZ which I'm doing now and pretty much resigned this is not for me which was an objective of this trip (look around to see if I want to live here). I'm not sure if I'll hit Ronnie's CG prior to the KOA, I haven't heard back from them on my initial reservation request which I'll need to adjust or cancel.

Site 194? Dang...we'll never get any sleep; that's only a couple of sites in front and to the left of us! ;) It will be good to see you, Neal.

TJ

I'm not smart on the Newmar Hoots thing, it's been interesting figuring that out :) I guess what I was implying was an informal Newmar rally such as people merging at destinations like we did for the Balloon Fiesta. Was super great to meet some of the fellow Newmar folks along travels.

I myself have only been to one official HOOTS rally and that was in 2018. We signed up for 2019 but had to cancel due to DW knee surgery schedule.

But what I was referring to is that an important part of each HOOTS rally so far has been the practice of including the participation of a nearby Newmar dealer who typically provides a few show coaches, a little sponsorship, and, perhaps some technical expertise. That’s not to say we couldn’t have a HOOTS style gathering without that ingrediant. There are no Newmar dealers in Montana.

When Newmar went to Gillette, Wyoming in 2018 they faced a similar problem since there are also no Newmar dealers in Wyoming. They got TransWest to cover out of Frederick, CO. Then last summer when FMCA went to Minot, ND (No Newmar dealers in ND either), the task of representing Newmar fell to Steinbring out of Garfield, MN.

I think your idea of an informal gathering of friends is excellent and that too is an important element of the Hoots experience.

I’m with you on Arizona. Just not for us (although we love to visit Sedona for short periods). Have you visited the Northern California/Oregon coast? Hard to beat in many ways. BTW Polson/Flathead Lake is a really beautiful area not to be missed. Maybe we will head back up there in late August early September.

I went ahead and booked Aug 15-31 at West Glacier KOA as it does look amazing and I want to see it. Looks like they are starting to run short on sites in that time frame so I pulled the trigger. I booked Polson (194) for two weeks after so I can nag @TJ&LadyDi :) I think I'm also going to make this a 3 prong attack and hit Colorado prior to Glacier NP as I really want to explore the Boulder/Denver area for possible future roots. I needed to explore AZ which I'm doing now and pretty much resigned this is not for me which was an objective of this trip (look around to see if I want to live here). I'm not sure if I'll hit Ronnie's CG prior to the KOA, I haven't heard back from them on my initial reservation request which I'll need to adjust or cancel.

If your going to hit Colorado, 3 recommendations.

Glenwood Springs West KOA - They have built some really nice patio sites right on the Colorado River.

Tiger Run RV Resort - Breckenridge, CO. They have some nice sites right on the Blue River.

River Run RV Resort - Granby, CO. This is a brand new resort. I have never stayed there but it looks like they did a good job building it. It opened Aug 2018. Would like a report.

All these resorts are on the RVForums.com Premium Parks Map.

[
our going to hit Colorado, 3 recommendations.

Glenwood Springs West KOA - They have built some really nice patio sites right on the Colorado River.

I was there this summer and had a great patio site on the river. Sadly they are building a HUGE gas station on the adjacent property. It is a travesty....not sure how they allowed that to happen.

Last edited:
@turbopilot and @Neal … I just looked at this map for the 1st time. I did not see a legend so how was this map put together. What does it take to make it on the map? Seems like a good resource.

FLSteve

Click the icon in the upper left hand corner for all the map layer options.
Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 4.35.11 PM.jpg

Click the icon in the upper left hand corner for all the map layer options.

Thanks @turbopilot … there is sure a lot of useful information here. I will start using this map to plan and check during our travels.

FLSteve

I'm getting word from the gang there now that North American is the place to be and KOA Glacier West is a madhouse.

Latest resources

Back